Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost a 7in piraya (attached by shoal) in my 125 gal. Tanks has 9 terns & piraya in it all 6 to 10in...they had been together for almost a year...is this normal to lose on like this ? is there anything I can do to minimize risk? I feed every other day and have no structure(decor) in tank. thanks for any advice !

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Not much you can do when you're packing 10 p's in a 125 except thinking about getting a larger tank or downsizing your shoal. P's are funny when something is not to there liking one can just go psycho. Keeping your temperature around 78, making sure your ph is stable, keeping your nitrates low, religiously keep to your feeding and water change schedule is about all you can do.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Im assuming that the death occured by cannibalism, since you never specifically mentioned the cause. Im sorry to say, but as any Piranha hobbyist can tell you.. "nothing is ever garenteed with P's"... not even within their own kind. One day they may seem fine, shoaling together.. then turn on each other the next. I can agree that 9 may be overcrowded in a 125, but Ive done it for years (even with bigger Ps). You've succeeded for a yr, until this happened... and noone can guarentee that it wont happen again even though you upgrade to a new tank. Its a rule nature can only control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.