Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use to much of that stuff when de-chlorinating the water before adding it to the tank?

G

·
Somebody on this forum mentioned that using too much dechlorinator makes the water acidic. I don't know for sure, though.

Either way, it is a chemical and should be used according to the manufacturer's directions.

G

·
I would agree with bullsnake on that. It probably won't do much harm but any trace chemicals in large doses can prove nasty. I know for a fact you will be able to add double without problem. You usually add double to a marine tank and marine fish are often much more delicate than fresh, especially P's. Meaning you would probably be safer with more. But there is no need really. Just try and add the correct amount.

I usually age my water and get it to the correct temp in a 6 gallon bucket. Therefore its easy enough to add the correct amount.

I wouldn't want to add more either, like Shutter says. It costs a fair bit and with 5 tanks changing water usually every other day or so I don't need it to be going down faster.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Bullsnake said:
Either way, it is a chemical and should be used according to the manufacturer's directions.
[snapback]834292[/snapback]​
Actually, us guys here in the bay double dose the treatment due to the added chlorimines in our drinking water. The method of letting a container of water sit for a couple days in a container is a great way also, but how would you determine how much of the chlorine/chlorimines are completely gone before adding to your tank? I used to treat my tank with Amquel and NovaAqua, but after applying the chemicals, my place alwys end up smelling like rotten eggs. Try PRIME.. I recommend it and take 1 capfull for every 50 gal.

G

·
I just do both to be sure. Age the water and add the water conditioner. It is probably instant being a chemical reaction but it doesn't state how long it takes. I believe Chlorine dissipates but I don't think you can rid the Chloramines without treating it, chemical reaction. It gives my heaters in the bucket enough time to get the temp exactly the same as the tank anyway.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Actually, us guys here in the bay double dose the treatment due to the added chlorimines in our drinking water. The method of letting a container of water sit for a couple days in a container is a great way also, but how would you determine how much of the chlorine/chlorimines are completely gone before adding to your tank? I used to treat my tank with Amquel and NovaAqua, but after applying the chemicals, my place alwys end up smelling like rotten eggs. Try PRIME.. I recommend it and take 1 capfull for every 50 gal.

[snapback]835017[/snapback]​
By letting the water sit, i would like to add only the chlorine will disappear usually within 24 hours. The chloramines unfortunately will not dissipate, therefore you still need to use dechlor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts