Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have this experimental data on a floppy disk in .csv(comma seperated variable) format. I went to import it into excel, but says, "cannot read from source file", or something like that. So i try to copy the file and that doesnt work either. It just says something like the file cannot be read. So then i try chkdsk(an old ms-dos holdover) to see if the disk is damaged, like bad sectors. That said there were no bad areas of the disk. So whats the problem with this disk? It is only this one file on the whole disk that cannot be read.

Anyone have any magical utilities that will repair this sh*t? I could really use the data in this file. all it is is a text file too. All the other files from the oscilloscope work fine.

And for anyone that says "you should have backed you data up", shut up. This file was taken from a floppy drive ina storage oscilloscope onto the disk. When i went to read the file on a pc, it didnt work. i didnt even have a chance to back it up.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
the file could possibly have been corrupted. have you tried opening it on another computer? if you can run other files on the floppy, then chances are that the problem lies with the file itself, ie corruption or missing data.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i found a program called bad copy pro, it ended up retrieving 94% of the file. Since the file is text only, it was sufficient as the first half of the file is data from before the test actually began. I guess im an l337 haxor.

·
Skankzilla
18,324 Posts
Not trying to be an ass or anything, just never trust floppy disks. My freshmen year for college we'd have to write programs and turn them in on a floppy disk, half the time the disks wouldn't read or files were corrupted. Go zip disk or USB now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts