Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to go on a little day hike today..started up Grotto Mountain at around 9 ish...

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Mountain Tree

A lot of steep hiking, plus I had to slow down and peel off layers as I got closer to the top. Les Stroud always says that sweat in cold weather is the number one danger so I was sure to take some time to air out and keep hydrated.

I got about an hour from the summit...I would say it was another km and a half.

Sky Mountain Plant Snow Slope

I came across this track...at first I was worried it was a bear that hadnt settled in for the winter yet..I dont think Iwould want to come acorss a grumpy bear alone in sub-alpine territory, home of the Grizzly Bear and even the Cougar. I thought better of it tho, and came to the conclusion that it was just a large dog. Too small for a bear IMO.

Grey Snow Tree Slope Freezing

I was full of energy and adreneline an wanted to try for the top but I saw this weather creeping in over the Valley from the mountains on the west side. I decided to turn back. Good decision, about an hour down the descent the wind picked up and brought with it some snow and cold air.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Mountain Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
cool danny. man wanna ditch work and go do some hiking myself. but thats a no-go.

man walking amoung such predators much be so much fun.. got wolfes there danny?

nice pics btw. (and yes sweating in an atric climate isnt the best thing, also becoming dehydrated is more likely when one is out on long walks in the cold, than when walking in warm weather.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool danny. man wanna ditch work and go do some hiking myself. but thats a no-go.

nice pics btw. (and yes sweating in an atric climate isnt the best thing, also becoming dehydrated is more likely when one is out on long walks in the cold, than when walking in warm weather.)
The preds arent bad, atleast not in the winter. They are mostly gone for the season. In the summer tho it can be terrifying, especially in this area which is famous for its Grizzlies. Ive never come face to face with one thank God, have with Blacks tho.

I dont think we get a lot of wolves here, most northwest.

Ditch work, stick it to the man :laugh:

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
I like the photo documentary you've got going on. That's funny.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
wouldnt you say the black pose a greater threat..

in summertime, do you carry guns for protection?

(cant believe im asking the resident hippy that question)

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Maybe he carries bear repellant?

But seriously... I'm serious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wouldnt you say the black pose a greater threat..

in summertime, do you carry guns for protection?

(cant believe im asking the resident hippy that question)
Black bears? No way, I am still terrified of them tho :laugh: All wild animals are dangerous, like the big Bull Moose..I find its best to just be aware and stay clear of thier path if you can. Some people that venture out to see these animals then get super close for photos are just insane.

I would like to carry a gun actually, right now Im 17 tho so its not legal. A lot of people do tho!

And thanks Mettle, I know its sad :laugh:

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
haha bear repellant. i think they shot a grizzly a while back, it had killed some people or atleast a ranger. the ranger had emptied his clip in its chest, most likely just pissing the animal off. this was a huge one but it goes to show, you get a grizzly after you, something in a can wont save you..

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
thats awsome. I wish i lived by mountains, I'm sick of the city.

I would at least have mace or something. Its not going to keep you from getting attacted, because if they are close enough to feel it then your probably already being attacted. But it might get a bear to let go, as a last resort.

I would think the odds of being attacted are slim, but that would not be a very plesant way to go.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Don't get lost up in those hills.

Big dog track or wolf?

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts

The preds arent bad, atleast not in the winter. They are mostly gone for the season. In the summer tho it can be terrifying, especially in this area which is famous for its Grizzlies. Ive never come face to face with one thank God, have with Blacks tho.

I dont think we get a lot of wolves here, most northwest.

Ditch work, stick it to the man :laugh:
[/quote]
where are you

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts