a perfect picture of a crowntail.
What's happening here?? so many nice betta's ,makes me thinking 'bout
getting a new pair again

greetz

William

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
damn very nice shot and the fish look,s great and in good health !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words. I've also taken an interest in these fellas recently. Currently I have 14 of them. If you guys don't get sick of looking at them, I'll post more later.

Cheers,

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
POTM SUBMISSION, POTM SUBMISSION

im positive that you would win

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And here's more...

That's pretty much the lot at the moment. The rest are just different pictures of the same fishes.

Cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tinkerbelle said:
very nice crown tail

but your 'imbellis' is not an imbellis, its a plakat, or short finned betta splendens

[snapback]935175[/snapback]​
That's good to know.

So what is the differentiating charateristic between a short finned Betta splendens and a Betta imbellis?

Cheers,

·
Registered
814 Posts
benny said:
Tinkerbelle said:
very nice crown tail

but your 'imbellis' is not an imbellis, its a plakat, or short finned betta splendens

[snapback]935175[/snapback]​
That's good to know.

So what is the differentiating charateristic between a short finned Betta splendens and a Betta imbellis?

Cheers,
[snapback]935184[/snapback]​
I think you need to have reflecting scales ,like on twitcho's fish
correct me if I am wrong..

greetz

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,168 Posts
b. imbellis is a 'wild variety' whereas the b. splendens we most commonly know has been bred for specific traits (for example, crowntail, half moon varieties, with the plakat being the closest to the wild variety b. splendens there is)

the best way to differentiate a short finned b. splendens from an imbellis is the gills themselves (not the operculum).

imbellis show a distinct two bar green iridescence on the gills, they also tend to be red/green/brown variations in body color... not that rather brilliant steel blue like your handsome little guy is. additionally, they are often more slender bodied. plakats tend to have a distinct body shortening (which i find rather cute!).

here is an example picture of an imbellis that i've used before...

i hope twitch doesn't mind, but i'm borrowing his picture of HIS male, who i believe may be 1/2 or 1/4 imbellis... because of the body type and coppor coloring which was brought into the splendens line by crossing imbellis that showed that specific trait carefully with i believe overly irridescent (blue gene) melanos.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts