Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
506 Posts
When I play cd games or games like www.runescape.com my computer will totally freeze up to the point that I have to un-plug it. I don't have any viruses or wares, that I know of. I have dirext X 9.0 and I just up dated my video card. These made it faster and last longer BUT it still freezes after a while. I have a very low 256 MB of RAM.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? Could there be viruses hidng that Norton or AVG cant find?
I used to be able to play games all the time on this computer....
Please help ASAP
Thanks, Ahead of time.

· Registered
138 Posts
a vid card is really going to make f*ck all difference in something like rune scape, and having low ram wont cause it to crap out either

256mb is fine for just surfing the net and stuff
512mb is good for most stuff
1GB is nice to have but not needed unless you do lots of vid or pic editing etc
512 can handle most games fine, they just take a bit longer to load

and if it still craps out after being formatted, its probably hardware
fans could of died and its over heating
could be to dusty and something is shorting out
psu might of just got crap and cant power it properly anymore
HDs might be spinning down and parking their head
there is many things that could be causing it

what other games do you play?

and what are the specs of pc

· Registered
506 Posts
I play like war games like:
Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires....Older games I thought my computer could handle.
*Edit* How much money is more RAM and a new video card going to cost me? Because right now I"m broke....(well the money is going towards fish)....
There's got to be something wrong if I used to be able to play the CD games and it freezes now.
I'd like to try all of the easy and free stuff first and work up to harder....please include instructions, I'm not the greatest with pc's.
Also my video card is made by NVDIA(NVIDIA)

· Registered
138 Posts
how long after start up until it freezes, or does it just freeze when you are doing stuff?

im guessing the gfx is something like a GF2

As i said, a slow system wont cause it to keep crashing

something is wrong with the hardware

absolutely no point getting more ram if you only play them games and surf the net

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, I don't know much about computers....So if you can explain what some of it means it'd help a lot LOL(sorry)...Thanks.
It freezes like 10-60 minutes after starting the game.....It just freezes doing normal stuff....No extra speed or extra apps.

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Umbilical Syllables said:
Get something like 512 mb of ddr ram, and at least a 64 mb video card, but preferably a 128mb. make sure your motherboard accepts ddr ram though. If its only accepts sd-ram, i'd look into a new motherboard.
[snapback]857760[/snapback]​
I got it fixed! Thanks, everyone....I'm not sure if it was the dust or, something this guy did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.