Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was testing my water today to see if the cycling was working and my ammonia is still pretty high, but my Nitrites are extremely high. Does this mean the cycle is going right? How long before it will finish? I can't keep my p's in the measly 20 gallon much longer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Are there fish in it? It sounds fine Just do water changes(25-50%) if there is fish in there and if not put some fish in there, Not expensive ones it will help cycle faster. It takes a month give or take a week or so. but it sounds like it is cycling, The ammonia should go down soon and then alittle while after the nitrites will go down and so on you get the point.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Your tank is cycling, your ammonia should drop very soon and you nitrites should shoot up, then the nitrites will drop and you will have nitrates. DONT do a water change until you have nitrAtes and NitrItes have droped. Then do a 50% water change, without touching the gravel and you can add your fish.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys, thanks. I havent changed the water. I do have like 5 goldfish in there. Hopefully it's a lot less than a month from now cause my P's are really stressed out in that 20 g tank.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Yes, they should have alot to choose from.
I believe the one of the names is nitrite zorb that you just add the sponge
with the chemicals into your filter, and it removes them safely, and can be reused when recharged.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Raptor said:
Yes, they should have alot to choose from.
I believe the one of the names is nitrite zorb that you just add the sponge
with the chemicals into your filter, and it removes them safely, and can be reused when recharged.
Cool

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just tested the water and the ammonia level has dropped, and the nitrites have spiked. How long do you think it will be before my fish can live safely in the tank?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Kolbenschlag said:
I just tested the water and the ammonia level has dropped, and the nitrites have spiked. How long do you think it will be before my fish can live safely in the tank?
just hang in there its almost ready.
I have heard that bio-spira accually works, and has been tested by some really reputable people on the piranha boards.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I use "Cycle" by Hagen!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, the ammonia is comepletely clear. The nitrites have spiked to i think 5ppm(i could be writing this wrong, but its as high as my test kit goes). My question is can i now take the goldfish out of this tank? When will it be safe for my p's? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have not tried any of the cycling products but have heard that they are a waste of money by some users, personally the old fashioned way is best for me... try getting some established water in there and some established filter media and gravel and decors if possible as well

·
Registered
492 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
I have not tried any of the cycling products but have heard that they are a waste of money by some users, personally the old fashioned way is best for me... try getting some established water in there and some established filter media and gravel and decors if possible as well
Do exactly what this man says, I have used the sh*t. It does not speed anything up, The only thing it does is make it less stressful on the fish when the sh*t gets high, That only if you put your piranhas in before the tank is cycled. Just let your tank cycle, the best way and only way you should go about it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
JEARBEAR said:
Do exactly what this man says, I have used the sh*t. It does not speed anything up, The only thing it does is make it less stressful on the fish when the sh*t gets high, That only if you put your piranhas in before the tank is cycled. Just let your tank cycle, the best way and only way you should go about it.
There we go, here is a member that has not had any amounts of success with these products, just as I had mentioned. Thanks for the comment Jearbear :biggrin:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, thanks for the help. I just tested the water, and ammonia and nitrites are at 0. How much water do i change before i add the p's back in?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts