Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm A Newb...I've Got A Rena Filstar XP3 Running A 200 Gallon Tank Along With Sub-Gravel Filters...I'm Wanting To Start A Cycle On My 75 Gallon, But It Has Sand On The Bottom Of It So I Cannot Use The Gravel From My 200 Gallon Tank As A bio Media...Could I Use Something From My Filstar Filter As Bio Media? And Also, Where Do I Get Ammonia At To Start The Cycle? Can I Get That From My Filstar Filter Also? I Have No Idea What The Hell I'm Doing..LoL Please Help A Newb And Same Some Poor Innocent Fishies Lives =)

· Registered
5,089 Posts
im sure you can use bio media from your rena..Im not familiar with the filstar, but there must be something you can remove and put in the filter that is on the 75. You get ammonia from live fish, such as goldfish or other tropical fish..or you can go with the fishless cycle, which involves the use of pure ammonia. By the way, do you have piranhas in the 200 gal with undergravel filters? If so, I would remove them because they are useless when housing piranhas. I would actually get rid of them either way, becuase they arent all the efficient to begin with.

edit: you have parallel threads going on now. I posted both because ive been drinking and dont have much better to do. You should get all you need by looking through this. IF you have more questions, feel free to message me on aol or yahoo at lineman5555. later

· Registered
669 Posts
You sure can use your gravel. Put some of your gravel in media pouches and toss it into the tank. You might want to rinse them off with Declorinated water to rinse off the minerals that are on the gravel but don't hose em down or the bacterial might dissapear. If you want to add media from a filter that's already in use. Replace like 1/4 of your filter pads and float the used ones in your tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.