Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, in the next two days I will have my new tank. Either a standard 125 or a 150 gallon.

I have read the pinned article on cycling, but am still somewhat confused I guess. In order to cycle it properly and quickly I could use frozen bio spira right? So

1. Add water and substrate.
2. Put filters and heaters on.
3. Buy large feeders
4. Buy Bio-Spira
5. Add water conditioner
6. Stress coat? Do I need it?

Anything I am missing? How many feeders should go in and how much bio-spira should I use? how long should I wait to put the reds in the tank??

Thanks Homies.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what kind of heater(s) and filtration do you all recommend? Should I go with a powerhead or like 2 or 3 emp 400s?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Also, what kind of heater(s) and filtration do you all recommend? Should I go with a powerhead or like 2 or 3 emp 400s?
Regardless of you getting a powerhead or not, I'd get for a 125gallon:
2x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean
1x Large canister filter of your choice.
OR
1x AC110(500) Keeps your tank sparkly clean plus decent bio-filtration.
1x Emp400 (extra bio-filtration)
1x Large canister filter of your choice.

I'd get an Eheim. Super-silent. I can't even hear my 2217 with the hob's & air pump off!

REMEMBER!
-Clean your substrat before you out it in your tank
-If you don't want to wait over 3weeks for feeder-cycling, do the FISHLESS CYCLING method.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hwo much is all this going to set me back?

Could I go with like 3 emp 400s?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hwo much is all this going to set me back?

Could I go with like 3 emp 400s?
Sure you can.
But it'll be MUCH better is you go with a canister + one Emp400 for the time being.
With only 3emps on your tank, sooner than later the bio-load of your growing RBP's will overtake your Emps.
Unless you fill your emps with good media, which at the same price you could have just gotten a good Canister.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts