Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make sure I was not causing too much stress for my fish, I have a 75 Gallon with a XP3 that pushes out 350GPH I also have a Penguin 1140 that is 300GPH. I noticed they are very current friendly....

My Cariba are only 5-6" is this too much current? or just enough? The water is crystal clear.. and they are much more active then my Elong was it seems.

I noticed they have a very good apetite. Although the largest of the 3 likes to nip and bully the other 2...

· Registered
639 Posts
Esoteric said:
and they are much more active then my Elong was it seems.
[snapback]873994[/snapback]​
What do you mean was, did something happen to your Elongatus?!?

Regarding your current, it doesn't sound like it's too much, but do make sure your fish have at least one deap spot in the tank so they can get out of the current if they choose to.

Another option would be to cut the powerhead on when you cut your light(s) on, and off when you cut the light(s) off. That way your fish can rest more easily at night.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I agree with skelator, make sure you have enough cover that they can rest if needed. If you see them resting a lot of the time, you may want to consider turning the powerhead down, off, or on at intermittent times (if that makes sense to you).

I have my powerhead on the same timer as my lights, so they both go on and off at the same time, and my RB's have plenty of resting spots in case they get tired.

· Registered
72 Posts
Phtstrat said:
I agree with skelator, make sure you have enough cover that they can rest if needed. If you see them resting a lot of the time, you may want to consider turning the powerhead down, off, or on at intermittent times (if that makes sense to you).

I have my powerhead on the same timer as my lights, so they both go on and off at the same time, and my RB's have plenty of resting spots in case they get tired.
[snapback]874602[/snapback]​
Powerheads are very good for the P's. Your flow rating is inline with the size tank you have. I have positioned mine so that points from the right rear top of the tank towards the left front bottom. I also added a separate timer for it. I got one of those timers (about $ 10 USD), where you can turn it on/off for each 1/2 hour. Beginning at 8AM each morning, I cycle on for 1/2 hour; off for 2-hours, on for 1/2 hour; off for 2-hours, all the way through 8PM. This setup gives them a rest and also provides very good and complete circulation of the water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.