Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to keep the babies. but i dont know anything about what to do next. i seen the eggs about 5 days ago. how long does the mother carry the eggs for? and how do i know if they are fertalized?

i cant seem to find anything on them, so any help would be appreaciated.

also, doesn't anyone know how to tell the male/female apart?

·
I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,689 Posts
I believe that this is what you are looking for..... BLUECRAYFISH
I hope that everything goes well with the eggs

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Just make sure the female dont get harrassed by the male. I would leave the female in there and wait till the eggs develope into baby crawfish and then transfer her into a bare bottom tank to herself. After she releases the babies, you should remove the female or she'll eat them. Just feed them flake and throw in some Anacharis or floating plants for them for shelter and they'll feed on those too. the Males have 2 long tube-like thing under their belly which goes up to their abdomen and the females dont. Also, female crawfish have round, short pinchers where males have a longer extended pincher. Best of luck with your crawfish and get pix!!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
hmm that im not sure about lol. Maybe a month or so? One thing's for sure, I had bred a brown one with a blue one once but when I found the female loaded with eggs, I didnt know what to do and transfered the female to a large bucket cause I didnt have an extra tank and eventually she died
But I did catch a pregnant female once with eggs and they did fine. I kept her in a small 5 gallon tank until she eventually released all the babies and I transfered her back into my tank. I used a sponge filter for my 5 gallon with the babies. If you plan on trying to keep as many alive as possible, I suggest using a large tank or tub because they will cannibalize on each other.I learned a lot of the info about breeding later on through a lady friend I knew who was crossbreeding crayfish for years. She bred a florida crayfish with this chubby red lobster kind we have here in cali and it was cool. The offspring were dark with blue streaks on them. If you have fish in the tank, I would transfer your female to a tank by herself and make sure the water quality is good. Use a barebottom tank. Throw in lots of floating plants, or some anacharis or something. They love to munch on those. Best of luck to ya

·
Registered
1 Posts
i want to keep the babies. but i dont know anything about what to do next. i seen the eggs about 5 days ago. how long does the mother carry the eggs for? and how do i know if they are fertalized?

i cant seem to find anything on them, so any help would be appreaciated.

also, doesn't anyone know how to tell the male/female apart?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.