Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up a tank for some caribas i plan on getting real soon, as my red belly of 5 years recently died
The tank is setup and cycled since i used the same water from my red bellies tank. I added 4 amazon plants. What i was wondering was, the plants seem to come out of the gravel sometimes. I have a little current going from my eheim model 3 utility pump, which causes the plats to work loose now and then. I am worried that when i put the new fish in that they are going to constantly knock the plants loose and i am going to have to keep reaching in there with these p's lurking around making me nervous. I was wondering if these plants will eventually root or anchor themselves? Or if there is anything i can do to keep these suckers down.
Also, it is a pain to keep feeders around all the time, i was wondering what you guys recommend i feed the caribas on a daily basis.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
for the feeding-
... mix it up, and keep a wide variety of foods for them, thats the key :
:

for the plants-
... Yes they will root eventually if provided the proper conditions for the plants. To keep them there for now until they root you can use those wrap on weights that your LFS should be able to provide

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
for the feeding-
... mix it up, and keep a wide variety of foods for them, thats the key :
:

for the plants-
... Yes they will root eventually if provided the proper conditions for the plants. To keep them there for now until they root you can use those wrap on weights that your LFS should be able to provide
yeah exactly what s.c said...but even if they should root...p's like to bite and move around stuff from time to time...so just try to anchor them as best as possible

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grosse gurke said:
Sorry bout posting in wrong forum. One more question, if i cant find tie on weights at my local fish shop, is there any places online i can order them from or something else safe i can use i can get at a hardware store or something. Thanks for the help.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
What i do is put a rock on top of the root base. And bury. Make sure it's big enough. 2 or 3 weeks and they should be rooted. Use flourish for plants in your tank to keep them in good shape. And make sure you have good amount of light.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Look for small donut-shaped rocks or similar. Pull the plants through it, until only the roots stick out at the underside: place it on a bit of gravel (to avoid smothering [sp?] the roots), put a layer of gravel on top of it, and it should remain stable...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts