Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, it looks like i am going to be getting a 240 gal setup that has i think 5 piraya, 4 5" and 1 4" already with it. My question here is would it be ok to add 3 caribe (5") and 2 super reds(4")? I know if I did i would have to re-arrange everything but is it a good enough chance of working to risk the money? Also, I'm thinking of getting a rhom. Is there a difference between where the specimen is collected? I see everyone says where it was collected, so does it make a difference? Like a real difference, not just reputation. Also, how long would like a 40-50 gallon tank last me? I am thinking I will just order a rhom when I order thoese other fish just to save money on shipping. Thanks a lot guys.

· Registered
6,976 Posts
I think adding the extra pygos to your 240 will be just fine. just rearrange so that they can all establish new territories. I think they'll all be just fine. location makes a large difference in rhoms, as well as all piranhas. the rhom may have a higher back, a yellow belly, or really red eyes from where it was collected from, so yes it makes a difference. if you got the rhom very small, at around 3" or so then a 40g would last a while because they are rather slow growers.

· Registered
3,280 Posts
My question here is would it be ok to add 3 caribe (5") and 2 super reds(4")?
It would be okay to add some more pygos to your shoal. I would go with a total of 10 pygos...u mix and match the different species as to what u like.

Is there a difference between where the specimen is collected?
Yes, there is a major difference. as already said, depending on where the rhombeus was collected will determine a lot to how the rhom looks....eyes, color & body shape. do some research about each of the different types of rhoms and fidure out which one u like best...just look at how the piranha looks. aggression cant be 'picked' because it all depends on the individual fish. if u order one from one of the sponsors like AquaScape or Shark Aquarium then they will be wild caught and more than likely be a very aggressive fish...especially at adulthood.

Also, how long would like a 40-50 gallon tank last me?
if you started out with a small rhombeus then a 50g tank would last u probably 3 yrs...give or take. also, the diet of the rhom will play a role in its growth...try to feed him a varied diet that is high in protein for better growth. this will also make him a very healthy and happy fish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.