Piranhas Forum banner

Couple of new pictures

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Fomoris 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,
almost the end of the year, so I figured it's time to post a couple of new pictures for the last time in 2006.
Hope y'all enjoy them!

Fin Terrestrial plant Reptile Underwater Fish

Crenicichla compressiceps male
All 6 are still doing great in their 80 gallon tank, despite the fact that I'm bummed that only 2 out of the 6 turned out to be females (how bad can the division of sexes in an order be
). They're all in good condition, active, curious, and not that aggressive - they just f'n hate Otocinclus Catfish, for some reason (4 of the 6 have their eyeballs ripped out, although they're still alive and otherwise well).

Fin Fish supply Underwater Fish Water

L014 Sunshine Pleco (no flash)

Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology Terrestrial animal

L014 Sunshine Pleco - of all my fish, he's the biggest camera whore!

Reptile Snake Organism Terrestrial plant Scaled reptile

L020 Polka Dot Pleco's (I have four and am trying to breed them, which to the best of my knowledge would be a first)

Reptile Lizard Scaled reptile Iguania Fish

L027 Royal Pleco 'Rio Tocantins'

Organism Underwater Reptile Terrestrial animal Marine biology

L114 Demini Leopard Cactus Pleco showing off

Fin Fish Underwater Fish supply Tail

L200 Green Phantom Pleco Hi-Fin

Plant Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Scaled reptile Reptile

True Leopard Cactus Pleco (no flash)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
And some full tank shots:

Plant Organism Pet supply Wood Terrestrial plant

25 gallon L020 Polka Dot Pleco breeding set-up

Plant Terrestrial plant Entertainment Wood Performing arts

50 gallon carnivorous pleco set-up

Plant Water Wood Organism Terrestrial plant

80 gallon Crenicichla compressiceps/Panaque/Phantom Pleco set-up

*edit*
Sangre_Roja: thanks for your compliment, mate

Attachments

#4 ·
You and and your fish that "suck"!
Great shots as always Jonas. I like that little pike, but of course, my little C. Sveni could kick his ass any day of the week.

#15 ·
Dr. Green: I sold my piranha's last autumn, because they got too big for their tank, and I also wanted to try something else. Now I have Pike Cichlids and Pleco's in my 80 gallon tank (used to be my Redbellies' tank).

nswhite: go for it, you won't be disappointed! It's a very different kind of community, but no less interesting than any other type of community. And anything from 20 gallons up should be fine, if you stick with small species, so you don't need a big tank for it. A large, powerfulk filter is essential, however: pleco's are incrediby messy! If you need any info or tips, just shoot me a pm.
I use a Canon EOS 350D (or Digital Rebel XT, as you may know it), btw. - a bit tough to get the hang of it (took me quite some months), but it's a fantastic camera, especially once you mastered the SLR photography basics!

Thanks for your kind words, guys!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've always wondered what you would keep if you lived in Brazil.

You'd probably be out collecting all the time :laugh:
I think I'd just fence off a bit of river and call it my open top tank

I do actually plan to visit Brazil (Manaus) on my next vacation, though (as soon as I have enough money - I'm still playing violin on street corners to pay off my trip to China, you know
:laugh: )

Thanks for your compliments, gents

#22 ·
Nah, although there's no denying that it sounds very tempting, I think I'll have other things on my mind (like tasting the local 'fruits' - and that is meant in the most non-gay way possible, lol - and beers
)
Besides that, carrying around fish all the time will only increase my stash of fish jerkies, me thinks :laugh:

I know what you mean though, I went to Costa Rica last year and I am actually glad I didn't have to worry about the welfare of any fish or the complications of permits and customs.

#24 ·
Very nice tank, fish and aquascaping !!! I love it... Especially the Pseudacanthicus sp.

What's the exact species of the second one (not the L114) ???

What do you feed them because I have one L144 since a couple of days and he only eats very small amount of "Sera Viformo"...

Thanks, bye.

#25 ·
Thanks, guys

I feed my pleco's all sorts of things: fresh vegetables (sweet peppers, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, zucchini, egg plant, green beans), frozen foods (artemia, blood worms, mosquito larvae, tubifex), chopped up shrimp/mussel, algae/spirulina pellets and granules.
I'm not sure whether you mean you have an L114 or L144: if it's an L114, which is a carnivorous species, put the emphasis on meaty foods, but also occasionally mix in some greens. If you mean an L144 (Ancistrus sp./Blue-Eyed Bristlenose Pleco), which is predominantly a vegetarian, put the emphasis on vegetables and algae/spirulina pellets: too much meaty foods can lead to indigestion, obesity and potentially fatal illnesses.
The difference between L114 (Pseudacanthicus sp.) and the other one (which is Pseudacanthicus leopardus) is that they are found in different places, and have slight differences in fin coloration, body color and pattern (for example, L114 has a distinct pattern on the face, P. leopardus doesn't).
The Pseudacanthicus leopardus is the true Leopard Cactus Pleco, and L114 is also known as Demini Leopard Cactus Pleco (because it is found in the Rio Demini).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.