Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its costing me 5 pound(uk) to keep my water clear the stuff pulls together the small particles caused from bacterial blooms so the filter can deal with them thats cool but spending 5 quid a day to see my fish wtf

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
its costing me 5 pound(uk) to keep my water clear the stuff pulls together the small particles caused from bacterial blooms so the filter can deal with them thats cool but spending 5 quid a day to see my fish wtf
So ne how-What size tank do you have and what filter are you using-How many fish and what size please-There no reason why you should have to be doing this :nod:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know my old tank had not 1 prob its nuts. right my tank is a 125 gall with an ehiem pro filter a good powerhead and my fish are 5 inch (4reds) also i do 30-50% water change every sunday including a gravel vac there is no left over food they eat it to quick.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
i know my old tank had not 1 prob its nuts. right my tank is a 125 gall with an ehiem pro filter a good powerhead and my fish are 5 inch (4reds) also i do 30-50% water change every sunday including a gravel vac there is no left over food they eat it to quick.
You need to step up that filtration first off man-Is that filter running for mechanical or bio sir?I will go from there :nod:

Very important with your reds that you run a filter just for mechanical and bio load-You will benefit from there alot-
Never hurts to over filtrate as well-

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m y filter has sponges in it and then substrate and then ceramic rings is this ok? i really get lost with the filter side of things

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
m y filter has sponges in it and then substrate and then ceramic rings is this ok? i really get lost with the filter side of things
I believe this is your problem-You really need to step it up in the filtration dept-I would use this cannister for bio for sure-But I would also pick up an older emp 400 or a big ac to make up for the mechanical side-

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sorry for sounding dumb but what do i put in the second filter then? ill leave the ehiem setup and get another but want to know what to add. thanks akskirmish

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
ok sorry for sounding dumb but what do i put in the second filter then? ill leave the ehiem setup and get another but want to know what to add. thanks akskirmish
Well in my cannister (I prefer to use rena for bio-And personally nothing beats a magnum for mechanical)-I toss out all but one of them darn "filter floss" or whatever you would like to call it-I pack as much rings,lava rock-etc,etc, that will fit into the compartments and then i leave just enough room to put that floss on top of everything just for good measures-Then in my other cannister I use nothing but stuff to polish the water-Floss-pads-scrubbies-what ever you choose to use for this which there is many options-Almost too many to list-But mind you I run alot more filters than just that on my tanks-I'm a nut for over filtrating things!!!! sh*t for that 125 gal I would run that ehiem another cannister and at least two emps or ac's-But thats justt me-Maybe a u.v steralizer would benefit you-Mind you that is if all of you water params are good to begin with-

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not me man i love all this its great i just wanna learn and then 1 day help out others too. it would be boring if everything went to plan hahaha

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am doing small water changes with a good water conditioner water params were all good and im waiting for new filter to arrive im gonna run 1 for bio and 1 for mechanical it should be here in the morning

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have gone for another ehiem canister like u said and im gonna pack it out with sintered glass and ceramic rings and lava rock as much as i can sqeeze in there and just leave the other 1 running will that help?

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
Is this how you have your filter setup (see pic)?

Liquid Green Drinkware Cosmetics Recipe

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no i have ceraic rings above the substrate with black carbon sponge or pad at the very bottom with the fine filter pad at the top. can the way you setup mess things up? im so useless with filters its terrible

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
no i have ceraic rings above the substrate with black carbon sponge or pad at the very bottom with the fine filter pad at the top. can the way you setup mess things up? im so useless with filters its terrible
To answer your question ... Yes! If the filter media isn't put in the proper place the filter won't perform to it's
potential. What Eheim filter do you have?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts