Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
It's not ideal. 50/50 bulbs are for saltwater tanks...great for bringing out the color of your fish and growing macroalgae/lowlight corals.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,410 Posts
There are coralife lamps that are just for planted aquariums and the work great.

They don't have an actinic bulb in them, just a 10,000k bulb.
I picked one up yesterday actually for my planted tank.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
you should be able to get replacement bulb that is the 6500k which is better for plants.. the 10000k and sctinic are for coral and sea life growth the actinic is more to get vibrant colors from corals

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
So it makes my fish look great, and my planted tank will have enough light to flourish........right?
Not exactly...the only freshwater fish I'd use a bulb with acitinic blue with would be Glofish (transgenic zebra danios with red sea coral pigment). The acitinic blue wavelength is better utilized by algae than your plants.

If so then I'll stick with it. They were out of the bulbs that are made just for planted fresh tanks in the 48" so he told me this was the next best thing.
You'd be better off with a pure 10,000k light if they are out of plant bulbs. I'd go with any normal bulb over a 50/50 bulb for that matter.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
That fixture is 50% worthless for your plants.
You want the Freshwater Aqualight. It is a full 6700K bulb or pair or quad. depending on what one you get.
If you want to highlight your blues in your tank and still be able to provide good light to your plants, you should get that fixture and swap the bulb with something in the 8000-10,000K range. Since you'd be getting a different bulb it dosent really matter what fixture you get. But if you want something that will be solid out of the box you want the Aqualight.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113345

The ones on the bottom half of the list.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113345

There are coralife lamps that are just for planted aquariums and the work great.

They don't have an actinic bulb in them, just a 10,000k bulb.
I picked one up yesterday actually for my planted tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.