Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would two pairs of breeding Convicts ( 3 to 4" ) be ok in a 55 gallon for life, the only other fish in there is a small ( 1" ) Jaguar Cichlid. The Jag will only be there on a temp. basis. One pair has already begun digging a nest. How long does it take for them to lay eggs and how often do they have babies? How many babies per nest can I expect? What do other MFK keepers do with the fry?

·
Registered
31 Posts
55 is so goooood for them for life, personally id put 2 or 3 more pairs in there... u shud watch them when they breed and protect their territories. theyre so cool!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
If you want selfish entertainment, put two pair in. If you want optimal size and minimal fin damage than go with one pair for life and have a regular feeder source for your other fish. 55 is perfect. Male cons that grow large look way better than those in constant battle.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
55 is so goooood for them for life, personally id put 2 or 3 more pairs in there... u shud watch them when they breed and protect their territories. theyre so cool!
i wouldnt put more than one pair unless you got a divider or can really landscape two definate equal territory or the pairs will be constantly fighting. a 55 is GREAT for one pair for life

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
a 55 is a great home for a breeding pair of convicts! theyll have great room! the jag might give them some grief for his stay but it should be okay on a TEMP basis.
they will breed in due time and once they do theyll keep breeding. the best trick is a clay pot of flat pieces of rock and some dim lighting. the rest is up to nature

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
55 is huge for a single pair. Def will not do for the Mang but so long as you get him outta there and into at least a 75+ you will be fine.
one pair of breeding cons is the max for a tank.
Cons only get to 4-5".
but keep in mind once they start breeding they will not stop. and you can wind up with 100+ convicts REAL quick. Also LFS's are not likley to take them off your hands.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
reason you only want to put one breeding pair in there is this. They are going to breed and have a few hundred babies. those babies will grow some. Some will die. but you will have probably 30-50 fish in that 55 gal in a very short period of time. If you want to keep more then save some of the babies and don't "sell" them off. But you should just grab one pair. as tehy have more babies the babies will get picked off by the last batch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I had to put a divider in the tank. One of the pairs now has babies and is kicking the crap out of everything else in the tank except the Jag. They don't mess with him even though he is smaller. I have 2 more males and 3 more females on the other side hoping for another pair. Pretty cool watching the parents guard the babies

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
ive found if you introduce another species in with convicts the babies will eventually become dinner. like a similar sized JD or tiger barbs, something that will not become overly agrssive given room. if you dont plan on making weekly trips to drop your con fry off i would go the natural course and let some healthy competition sort out the excess fry. it might sound neglectful but if your cons decide to breed with no fish but themselves you will quickly become overwhelmed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts