Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the LFS convicts are abour 4$ a pop and oscars 13-15$ im not sure which i want to get. i am more familiar with oscars, but attracted to convicts. i would like to get about 4 convicts or 2 oscars. which one is more aggressive, iteligent or interesting. please if you post give reasons why i shuold get one over the other. thanks.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
I wouldnt get either; neither fish is really all that entertaining as a solo cichlid. Convicts are aggressive, but they have tiny mouths and only get 5" long. Oscars will eat anyhting that fits in their mouths, but anything that doesnt is likely to bully them a bit.

I'd go looking for a Texas or Midas/Red Devil cichlid instead. They are far more aggressive than either cons or oscars and just as personable as any oscar

What size tank were you planning to give these fish, anyway?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Convicts are more aggressive, but what are you aftewr in a fish?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wassup guys?

i dont knwo too much about cichlids.

i hear about red devils, but i dont want just one now. i want a lot of fish, i want to shoal them or just tank mates. as i get older i'll probly aim for lone fish, maybe a rhom and a red devil, those 2 are definitly on my list.

it was just a toss up between these guys, im not sure which im going to go with.

i plan on putting them in a 55 untill they get bigger.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
if you are going to get an oscar you might as well get a snakehead. Snakeheads are wicked to watch eat and they although not personable like a cichlid they do kick ass to own. the only problem is is that you need a 350 gallon tank to house 1 cause they get monstorous. that mentioned I recommend that you get a jack dempsey because they dont require as much space as a red devi or oscar. Oscars need huge tanks cause they are messy and get huge my brothers was 15 inches + .

well good luck. the best thing to do is to look at the cichlid tanks at the fish stores and get a idea of there behaviour. Convicts are boring but they are cool looking. RD's are bad ass but sometimes shy. and Oscars.......well......oscars are are popular for a reason they are super cool but need a big tank.

·
Registered
873 Posts
my oscars are just starting to show signs of breeding behavior (digging a big pit, jaw locking, etc.) and I am more cautious about cleaning their tank than my cariba tank theat sits above them. they attack the syphon if it goes anywhere near their nest, almost jump out of the tank for food, and will bite my hand if I need to re-arange whatever plants they dig up. they have tons of personality to boot.

If I were you, I would go with the oscars as they are my all time favorite cichlid. I have grown them from 1 inch to 8 inches in about 6-7 months.

~Will.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i say get the oscars. once i had an oscar that when i lifted the hood on the tank it would come up to the top of the water and let me pet it and feed it out of my hand. hopefully you can get one like this. i also had an oscar that was sort of a bum and all it did was lean at like a 45 degree angle in the corner of the tank.

be sure your tank is big enough for the fish you get.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i still dont know which to go for...

i think im going for the convicts, more for the $

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
personally I'd go with the cons. Oscars are pretty owner interactive but they become rather ugly IMO when they get big and they are very prone to HITH. Convicts are much more aggressive than a oscar, especially during breeding. I'd get a pair of cons, they should entertain you a bit and get you into cichlids. Cons are a good beginner cichlid.

Mark

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sometimes i can just hold the goldfish a few inches above the water and my O will hop up and snatch it from my hand. It's a cool trick and it really impresses the ladies.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I think you should go with the cons.

I think this because they are easyier to keep than oscars, and require less space.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I really like my convicts. I think I'm gonna be kinda sad when my Spilo finally tears them up. if I go anywhere near the tank, they come over and check me out. As soon as I open the lid, they come up for food.

I like convicts, but I have nothing to say about Oscars, because I've never had one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.