Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got some eggs last night for the first time are they suposed to be alight brownish coulor? and how long would they take to hatch? how many times a day should i feed them? will the parents eat them? or should i seperate them? do the babies eat eachother?

·
Registered
357 Posts
i'd syphon the eggs to another aquarium with similar water conditions.. and when they hatch try using frozen brine shrimp.. this post should be in breeding forum btw..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is but noone answered me..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
hey i got some eggs last night for the first time are they suposed to be alight brownish coulor? and how long would they take to hatch? how many times a day should i feed them? will the parents eat them? or should i seperate them? do the babies eat eachother?
You will need to feed the fry a few times a day. I have always used crushed fish flakes but there are much better foods spec. for fry. Yes the parents will eat them. The babies wont eat each other. ive always had the best luck with seperating them from the parents. You will also need a sponge filter so the fry dont get sucked up. Look in the chiclid section for more info...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i got the eggs about 10-20 hours ago when should i siphon them out to a different tank?

·
Fish Whisperer
13,764 Posts
so i got the eggs about 10-20 hours ago when should i siphon them out to a different tank?
I would wait till they hatch and then move them.
Take as much of the water as you can from their tank now to the new one. Hook up an airstone nearby and feed them small quantities three times a day.
Turn some quality flakes and other high proteine rich foods into a mush. Pinch and lay it down directly in front of them so they will get it.
Keep this up for two weeks then just regular crushed flakes should be fine.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks but wont the parents eat them when hatched?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You will need to feed the fry a few times a day. I have always used crushed fish flakes but there are much better foods spec. for fry. Yes the parents will eat them. The babies wont eat each other. ive always had the best luck with seperating them from the parents. You will also need a sponge filter so the fry dont get sucked up. Look in the chiclid section for more info...
[/quote]

^^^^^

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have cons in a 30 long. It started out just the 2 of them I now have 3 females in there with fry. I have never taken them out and I can count about 200 little cons swimming around. 4 of them are pink, since the father and one of his female offspring have just mated. If you have a big enough tank don't worry about separating them. If they are in anything smaller then 15 gal you should. Not because the parents will eat them , but your female is going to kill your male if there is not enough room for him to hide.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
to Cichlids forum

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't remove the eggs that is foolish the parents will gaurd them with their life. no they the babies won't eachother.
I breed convicts as a feeder fish because they breed like rabbits. Just give them some sinking shrimp pellets they will feed off the pieces that come out of the parent gills. As they get closer to half a dime size they will pick peices of the soft shrimp pellets as they get water logged.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
man nice
i got 2 females and a male and i cant get them to breed.actually females are fighting male , and he sits in the upper corner of tank
they got lots of hidding spaces there

G

·
I was having issues getting mine to breed in a 20G. I had what I thought was 2 pairs and they just kept chasing one another around. I had lots of caves and hiding spots but after 3 weeks they still hadnt bred, so I removed a pair did a water change bumped the heat up and viola there were eggs. Now since they were in the back I couldnt see how many but I figured 30-40. Well today the parents let the babies come out to explore and I have approx. 100 fry if not more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts