Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a tough time controlling amonia. I have a 12 inch black who loves to eat nice big chunks of red meat. I believe my tank has fully cycled and yet Amonia continues to be a bit of problem.

Are there any chemicles that anyone would recomend?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would go to a petstore that carries it and buy some of the benficial bacteria used for 24 hour cycling that they keep in the special refregerators.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Much of those cycle-enhancing wonder-stuff is just ammonia or contains a lot of it, so I'd be careful with that... I guess you don't want to add more of that to a tank with already high ammonia levels.

Maybe the red meat causes the problem - I can imagine it's very messy stuff, and with a messy eater as well, lots of small scraps can easily get everywhere. Maybe trying some other food items like shrimp, fish fillet or feeders (if you want to) does the trick...

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
You need to add more bio-filtration. If you add a canaster filter you will not have this problem. I have 3 canasters on my 125 with eight good size very messy pygos and I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Bio-Spira has worked very well for me setting up new tanks. You could try using some of this stuff to reestablish your bio-filter. If you insist on feeding red meats(which arent really good for him and easily spoil the water... most likely the problem) then you have a few alternatvies. One would be to do a bare bottom type tank and gather some gravel into gravel sacks (panty hose) and rig them towards the top of the aquarium. This will ensure that all the shibby is not laying around in the gravel but immediately can be sucked up. You should be able to do water changes daily or every other day easily like this. I have done my most recent tank in this style and i really like it. Get some fancy 5 foot fancy plants and hang them around the top of the aquarium and let them hand down all over the place (covering the gravel bags filters and everything else). These fake plants also do perfectly at blocking out the right amount of light from your aquarium. You also might want to only feed him every 3 days.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
grosse gurke said:
You need to add more bio-filtration. If you add a canaster filter you will not have this problem. I have 3 canasters on my 125 with eight good size very messy pygos and I have never had a problem.
exactly, your filter can't turn the ammonia to nitrite quick enough. time for a bigger filter or more of them. try to get 10 gph per gallon of tank water.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Just thought of this: if you're ammonia levels stay high, it could mean your tank hasn't properly cycled yet... Doing lots of water changes, or adding chemicals will most likely not make the situation better.
My advise would be to put that rhom in another tank for a while, until the tank is properly cycled. You'll notice that after a while, the ammonia levels will decrease, while nitrIte levels go up. After that, the nitrItes will decrease, and nitrAte levels go up: as soon as ammonia and nitrItes are (close to) zero, the cycling will be done... Now you can reintroduce your rhom, and start your regular water changes.

And yes, plenty of filtration is the key to a healthy tank cycle - if your filtration can't cope with the bioload (ie. ammonia levels), the cycle might get out of whack quickly, forcing you to start all over again....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input...I think I am going to improve my filtration system and go over to a lighter feeding program that includes feeder fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts