Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Has There been attempts at gutting and taking eggs and sperm from piranhas. As like the breeding ponds do?
As they do for salmon. And other game fish?

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a topic on this in his site? Or that we can goto see?
Thanks. Not that i will try this. I'm just curious on when they knew they could try this? At what stages in their life that they could tell? If any.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Frank has a web page at that in opefe and if I remember he discusses it somewhere in his forum. I'm to lazy to look. :O

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I've read somewhere they have built ponds in other S.American countries as well, in order to breed p's for foreign export. If I remember correctly, it was in Brazil (Redbellies) and Venezuela (Cariba).

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
to clarify you are stripping fish not gutting them.on many fish farms fish are stripped and the eggs are artificially inseminated. it seems that it could be done with p's also. that would make breeding particularly aggressive p's far easier.

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree i just was thinking. Why isn't more people doing it.
Because of The rareity of certain p's

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
a part of the answer to that question is that the demand for p's is not that high. i know everybody here likes them but in the general population the demand is not that great. on a small scale basis someone could probaly do well with artificial breeding. something to think about.

·
Registered
698 Posts
P's aren't rare like was just said. Just a handful of them are being experimented on that are found in rare in nature. Like P. piraya and the one Frank determined sex on the wimple piranha which is very rare. Aquaculture people in S.A. are trying to save some of them. But don't think you will see to much done on common red bellies or rhombeus.

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i looked a little and i Think i found a breeder of piraya.

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
if you found somebody breeding piraya youshare it with the rest of us.

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pic in the website cannot be poven either way. And they haven't replied to my questions yet.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"The pic in the website cannot be poven either way. And they haven't replied to my questions yet."

And this is supposed to be surprizing? :eek:oo:

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No not really.

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We'll they had replied to me but it is indeed a red belly. Oh well

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
raptor, thanks for your time, without people like you out there looking there are mamy things the rest of us would miss.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Make them jump through a burning hoop? Burp the national anthem?? Play checkers??? Crush an empty beer can on their forehead ?? ? ?
C'mon Marco, tell me, tell me :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts