Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But tons of member pics and videos showing the fish schooling through the tank and feeding frenzies galore. Im trying to convince my nephew to get something else, but hes convinced that RBp's will create frenzies etc during feeding, people are saying that they're boring/skittish etc, but he's watching numerous videos posted on this site that shows otherwise, which is it? it cant be both! Can it?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It depends on the individual fish, first of all. (but obviously good conditions for the fish are important too)
Also reds tend to become less skittish as they age.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Red Belly Piranhas can go both ways, aggression wise. My RBP's when young, were very skittish at times and at other times (tank lights off) they were not skittish at all. It can all be fairly random on this topic because they are now around 7-8 inches and are extremely skittish lights on or off. Movement around the tank also affects how they act within their environment. I think it all has to do with their genetics and the live or die environment that they are originally from. Also for your nephews sake it is important for him to understand that RBP's can be very aggressive simply because they are hungry not because they are necessarily mean. They are not aggressive all the time either. Most of their time is spent chillin and relaxing swimmin through the current. Also alot of people think that the second you have them in a tank they will be ready to destroy anything and that is just not the case, many of the videos you see posted are of RBP's that have been starved so that they aggressively fight over the food which has been introduced to the tank. Starving RBP's or any other fish for that matter is just being an unresponsible owner. On the flipside their are from what I have read and seen on these forums various Piranha species that are very aggressive on their own. Once again though it seems that it all depends upon the fish and its own natural personality.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Red bellies tend to be more skittish to humans. Actually most piranhas are skittish by nature. Some will become accustomed to their owners and some will still be shy around people. I had shoals of red bellies that would never eat in front of strangers. I had a gold spilo that wouldn't eat if anyone was in the room. I've also had a shoal of macs that would destroy anything in front of anyone.

But to let your nephew know, piranhas aren't the killing machines people make them out to be. It may take them awhile to get adjusted to their tank. They probably will eat in front of him and "Frenzy" over food, but then the rest of the day they will hide/be skittish around him too. Hard to explain, but if he threw in a feeder fish, the reds may take awhile before they attack it. You'll start to see its usually one red of the group will initiate the attack then the others will follow.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
to be honest when people watch these videos the fish are normally feeding......................obviously they are going to be ina feeding frenzy cos they are feeding.............

BUT, they cant be like that all the time or lese they would die............my P's jjust swim normally for most of the day just like any other fish.........................but mine are also skitish if i walk in the room they skit but clam down straight away...........

to be honest people dont contradict about red belllies, you just need to red a bit more about them first, and stray away from stereo typing

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe me Ive read damn near every thread on this site. But its hard to get a grasp of what this fish is like when people say they'ere boring/skittish/shy/wont eat in front of me! Then hear and SEE the complete opposite when theyre feeding. See even look at the answers posted some say they only do that when starved others say its normal because theyre feeding implying this occurs regularly during feeding. Do they frenzy when they feed or do they not feed in front of you
Still confused. I understand them adapting to their environment and being skittish until comforatble etc, but once theyve adapted do they eat in a frenzy style or not eat in front of you?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Believe me Ive read damn near every thread on this site. But its hard to get a grasp of what this fish is like when people say they'ere boring/skittish/shy/wont eat in front of me! Then hear and SEE the complete opposite when theyre feeding. See even look at the answers posted some say they only do that when starved others say its normal because theyre feeding implying this occurs regularly during feeding. Do they frenzy when they feed or do they not feed in front of you
Still confused. I understand them adapting to their environment and being skittish until comforatble etc, but once theyve adapted do they eat in a frenzy style or not eat in front of you?
Dude i think its 50 50 if you get a skitish bunch of reds or a not so sktish bach of reds, never know how they are goign to be like

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've heard numerous times - and it's come true with my own P's - that a warmer temperature and placing the tank in a high human traffic area (maybe near a hallway or entrance) will encourage a more aggressive demeanor. It also helps to have hiding places so they can feel they have an escape when they feel threatened.

disclaimer: genetics, water quality, filtration (including current) and diet (live or dead food) will also be factors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts