Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2 caribe have been with me for going on 3 months now and are still so damn skittish and are so easily scared that it is pissing me off. I have a common pleco that has personality than they do.

Some strange things they do:
1. Never do they eat as soon as I put food in there. They always either let it sit around for a while or wait until I leave.
2. They flip out so bad whenever I walk by the tank or open the lid that I think they are going to bash their heads open on the glass.
3. They fight each other a lot but not too serious...yet.
4. They hide whenever people come in the same room as them.

I know this may just be some really stressed out fish but come on, it's been like this for three months. These Caribe are not turning out at all like I envisioned. I don't mean to say that I only wanted some super agressive killing machines because that is not it at all. I just wanted some fish with personality that could entertain me not bore me to death. I just really want to find a way to liven them up a little. Any thoughts on this "problem" of mine would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The reason perhaps your fish are acting like this could be endless....Did you get them from a previous owner?...Are they in an environment that might be overcrowded ?...Location of tank in a high area of noise within your house?...Do you have any powerheads within your tank?...Some of these simple factors can play a key role within your fish's personalities amongst others...I hope you have the patience for them as IMHO, they are a very entertaining species of fish when kept in what the fish feel is a healthy environment

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
Honestly man, piranhas are not the super agressive fish that they are cracked up to be. They are very nervous fish that get frightened easily. The only thing I can think of is you should try and add another cariba in there. That may help out a little. They see safety in numbers so adding another one might be your best bet. Since they hide so much, you may want to try removing all their hiding spots.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer some of these questions:
1. yes I did get them from a previous owner
2. there is no way they are crowded in a 55 just the 2 of em
3. they both live in a room with just me in my dorm so they see me pretty much all day
4. I have one powerhead
Fishofury, I know that they are not at all like in the movies. That is not why I got the fish. I am just complaining of a general lack of personality altogether. I have looked into obtaining another Caribe but they are outside of my budget right now because of horendous shipping costs. Also, one of them just got some kind of fungus or something on him so I am waiting to see what happens with that before I introduce another fish. Thanks and keep the help coming please!!

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
to prevent serious damage from their fighting, i'd spread it out by adding another caribe. as for the skittishness, my caribes were always skittish. i had them for about 5-6 months before i sold them and till the end they were scared shitless of me. one reason could be the size. smaller pygos tend to be much more skittish than the large ones.

as for personality, pygos lack 'personality' in relation to most fish. if you want to see good feeding action, skip feedings. feed them maybe once or twice a week.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just curious, do you have placed for them to hide in the tank? A lot of fish, not just piranhas, will be very skittish if they have no places to hide. It will sound backwards, but many p's will become less skittish if you give them more places to hide.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
masterofdragons said:
Just curious, do you have placed for them to hide in the tank? A lot of fish, not just piranhas, will be very skittish if they have no places to hide. It will sound backwards, but many p's will become less skittish if you give them more places to hide.
[snapback]928950[/snapback]​
Good point but not necessarily! it really depends on their personality and the time they acclimatized to their home. Some members here waited 8 months to show its aggression and its a serra species like mine a manny. Mine no rainbow at all he would chase me whenever i walk around my room or anybody and everytime i woke up, still lying in bed, i always see him staring at me watching me kinda spooky sometimes. I say experiment not feeding them for 2 to 3 days. If this has been done be patient! they'll come around.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i would get another caribe and make sure they have a lot of places to hide if they need to. i have 2 caribe and a piraya and they get along fine... my caribe arre pretty skittish, but they don't freak out all the time!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
another reason why i dont think CARIBE are worth the $dinero$

and yes caribe are really skittish i myself prefer reds...but then again alot of piranha owners have skittish reds too

well the personality of the fish varies induvidually

my reds arent skittish at all , but then again they are in my living room where its noisy and have alot of movement most of the time....

just have some patience they will come around sooner or later....

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I agree with the people that advised you to get a third fish, but I'd get a larger tank first. You're saying your fish already look crowded ion their tank, so more fish is out of the question - in fact, you'll have to upgrade no matter what as soon as your fish grow further.
Get at least a 48x18x20" tank if you want 3 or 4 pygo's, or a 60x20" tank for 5-6 pygo's.

What pygo to get doesn't really matter: personally I'd go with a Redbelly, as they are cheap (so financially no big deal when it kicks the bucket), and ideal to spice up a sleepy tank...

And one more thing: the location of the tank, the amount of human traffic, and the amount of time you spend in fornt of the tank all play a vital role in making your fish more used to a life in captivity.
Your fish are wild-caught, so probably never saw human beings or their stuff until they got pulled out of their little pond - no surprise they are scared shitless by everything. To get used to that needs a lot of time...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 fish in a 55 is fine for the current size they are and I never said that they looked crowded. Also, I also agree that I should get a third fish but I can't afford it right now. So does anyone have any advice that isn't "get another fish?" Thanks.

·
Let's split up gang!
3,693 Posts
AUTiger36 said:
Also, one of them just got some kind of fungus or something on him so I am waiting to see what happens with that before I introduce another fish.
[snapback]928909[/snapback]​
This could be the cause of it too.

Also, try taking all the decor out for a week. If they become even more skittish, then try adding more decor. Don't be afraid to experiment, but make sure they have enough time to adapt to thier new surroundings before changing it again, that way you know if the change helped or not.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
a few weeks ago i bought quite a small wild RBP. he is now around 2 to 2.5 inches.

at first he would just sit behind the filter all day. not come out for food or anything. then i decided to densely plant the brighter side of the tank, and just put driftwood on the dark side for cover.

immediately he came out from behind the filter...only to hide behind a large java fern...all day, everyday.
after about a week. i removed 2 small ferns...then 2 days ago, i moved another one to the other side of the tank. so that now his densely planted area, has only 3 ferns, instead of 6 or more. this seems to have helped his skitishness, because even though he still hides behind the fern, he does come out to scope out who or what is looking in, and if they might have a snack for him.

im going to continue to remove cover bit by bit, but not removing all of it. i will probably end up keeping the largest java fern, and mayb one other. to open the tank up more.

that does seem to have helped him. try that for your caribes. give them lots of hiding spots, then slowly start taking them away. slowly, not a day or 2 apart. but a bit more than that. so that they can get used to it.

i mean, 2 weeks ago, i had only seen my P when i first put him in. and one time when i scared the crap outta him approaching the tank. but now he seems a lot more chill. he doesnt cruise around all day, but he does come out now. i just keep telling myself that it will get better with time.

im also quintupling my tank size, and adding some more Ps for him to play with

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, does everybody think that if I add more plants and cover they may calm down and start to interact with me or at least acting like minnows? Thanks. Here is pic of my tank. (Taken with a camera phone so sorry for quality)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
At had the same sh*t with my s.sanchezi.
I have the fish for about 8 moths now.
And it was skittish al the time.
Then judazzz can along and gave some advice.
This part worked alot for me.
And one more thing: the location of the tank, the amount of human traffic, and the amount of time you spend in fornt of the tank all play a vital role in making your fish more used to a life in captivity.
Your fish are wild-caught, so probably never saw human beings or their stuff until they got pulled out of their little pond - no surprise they are scared shitless by everything. To get used to that needs a lot of time...
When my fish started to get less skittish i slowly started to remove sum decoration.
Also teasing him with food.

Start throwing the food in his hiding place
Do that for a couple of days.

Then thow it in the middle of the tank
And also do that for a couple of days/weeks

Then throw it in front of the tank.

It costs alot of time but when u are finished u'll have a geat fish!!

And the fighting.......
I would also introduce a third fish.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
3 fish in a 55 is fine for temporary housing but not for life.

I do beleive my cariba were worth the extra money, I think it was only 10$ more each anyways. But they never refused any food and they rip it out of each others mouths.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
damn well sounds like I need another caribe, so I guess I will keep trying to look for another one. They are hard to EXTREMELY HARD to come by where I live so I guess I will keep looking. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
damn well sounds like I need another caribe, so I guess I will keep trying to look for another one. They are hard to EXTREMELY HARD to come by where I live so I guess I will keep looking. Thanks for all the help guys.
shark aquarium-------->>>>>
shark aquarium-------->>>>>

aqua scape--------->>>>>>>
aqua scape--------->>>>>>>

not that hard to find one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts