Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
*If any one wants to make their common pleco famous send me the pics!

golfer931's Common Pleco

Judazzz blinking Common Pleco

Scientific name: Pterygoplichthys pardalis
Common name: Common Pleco
Synonyms: Suckermouth catfish, Plecostomus punctatus, algae eater (also used for other unrelated species of fish), pleco
Genus: Pterygoplichthys
Order: Siluriformes (catfish)
Class Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
Family: Loricariidae (Armored catfishes)
Subfamily: Hypostominae
Size:H. Punctatus: up to 12" (30cm), L. Multiradiatus: 16-20" (40-50cm)
Origin: South America
Minimum Tank Size: At least 50 gallons to grow into
Tank setup: Large tank, with caves or bogwood for refuges
Temperament:
Compatibility: Generally OK for the larger community tank, may be territorial over a favourite cave.
Water Type: Fresh
Temperature: 19-26oC (66-79oF)
Hardness: Soft
pH: 6-8 (Will tolerate a wide range)
Sexual dimorphism: No obvious differences. Adult males may be smaller than females
Breeding: Unlikely in the aquarium (Not impossible) - accomplished in outdoor ponds, where the fish dig tunnels in which to spawn.
Feeding: A good algae eater, this should be supplemented with algae wafers, sinking pellets, green foods.
They will also consume most other foods missed by midwater dwelling fish. Important to note: Most commonly prurchased "cleaner" fish. Often straves to death through lack of supplemental feeding.
Other Plecos Often Mislabled as Common Plecos:
Glyptoperichthys spp. - The Red Spot or Sail Fin Pleco
Bushy-Nosed Plecos
Otocinclus spp. - The otto cats , or dwarf plecos
Peckoltia spp. - The Clown Plecos
Pseudacanthicus spp. - The Leopard Plecos (Rare)
Panaque spp.- The Royal Plecos (Rare and expensive)
Baryancistrus spp - Gold Nugget Plecos (Rare)
*The famous Zebras (Rare and very expensive)
Farlowella spp. - The Twig Catfish

This fish is a very hardworking algae eater. Unfortunately its large size and 'clumsyness' tend to make it less suitable for small or heavily planted tanks. It is a very robust fish which will adapt to most conditions. The common name of "plec" or "pleco" is derived from the obsolete genus name of Plecostomus. A number of different species are sometimes sold under the name of 'common plec', which may include other species in addition to the ones above. One of them is the Sailfin plec, Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps, but this is more easily recognizable by its larger dorsal fin and a more 'honeycomb' type pattern.

To Note: I have found Plecos to be very Salt intolerent (As in they can't stand salt)

Judazzz said:
Classification of pleco's is as much a mess as that of piranha's
[snapback]968724[/snapback]​
*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

Judazzz Common Pleco
heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I think besides p's its one of the more popular things people have in their tanks... usually to clean up after their p's but now they have the info to take care of them

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pic golf

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tinkerbelle said:
thats a great profile... i didnt' realize gold nuggets were rare/expensive. my mom had one in her tank and the freaking kuhli loach killed it somehow

[snapback]967906[/snapback]​
Well I'd say rarer and more expensive than a common pleco ($30 USD)

I'll change that a bit

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Good info

Those fish you name "Other variants" are seperate species (often even belonging to a different genus or family) though, not variants of the Common Pleco

But many different species are sold under the name Common Pleco, as there are many similar-looking species that are hard to tell apart.
One more thing: its scientific species name nowadays is "Pterygoplichthys" (classification of pleco's is as much a mess as that of piranha's).

Here's a piccy of my Common, while blinking his eyes:

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Judazzz said:
Good info

Those fish you name "Other variants" are seperate species (often even belonging to a different genus or family) though, not variants of the Common Pleco

But many different species are sold under the name Common Pleco, as there are many similar-looking species that are hard to tell apart.
One more thing: its scientific species name nowadays is "Pterygoplichthys" (classification of pleco's is as much a mess as that of piranha's).
[snapback]968724[/snapback]​
Thanks for the pic and I'll be modifying some of the info... By the way I was looking at your web page and might be stealing some info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts