Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I move in June I will be setting up a 120 for my two big RBPs and my 4 little guys. The big ones are probaby about 8"-9" and the little ones are only about 2"-2.5" When is a good time to introduce the little ones to the big ones? The big ones are very shy and timid while the little ones are very aggressive. I dont want to lose anyone, and I dont think the big ones would attack, but I wanted to see if anyone has any input. Thanks a lot.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
If they are the same kind of p, and the smaller ones are more aggresive there should be no problem with putting them together I would wait till they are almost close to the same size, this tends to work better and then you wont lose any of them. I would get more input as I am new to being a proud owner of the p's.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Make sure the new home has plenty of decor and adequate space and wait till they get around 5 inches or so for best results in my opinion...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You can also move the decor around in order to take remove previously marked territories for them to defend when new fish are added. I personally have never had a problem adding new fish to my tank even without moving decors...my shoal just gets bigger.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i didnt get a chance to feed my little p's this morning and i was just looking at them and two have nipped up fins, which makes me think it may be time for them to join their big brothers in the other tank... i am afraid it is too soon though, but at the same time, i dont want them to kill each other if i cant feed them twice a day... is there anything that will help the transition be a little smoother? what if i leave the lights on all night, to encourage all of them to hide out a little?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
leave the lights on
move around the tank
put dithers in the tank, goldfish,rosies,guppies.
change 10%-20% of the water
drop the temp a bit.
watch them for a couple hours

You shoud be fine.

MAD

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks! i appreciate the quick response. i'm going to do it now, and hope for the best...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts