Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from a 2 day trip today and noticed that one of my rbps has a different colour on the top half. the bottom has gotten realy shiny but his top half has gotten black does anybody know what this means?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Any pics available?

·
Registered
195 Posts
MY REDS DID THAT TO,WHEN I MOVED THEM FROM MY 25 TO MY 90 GAL, THEY TURNED A SHINY SILVER FOR A DAY OR TWO THEN GOT BACK TO ORIGINAL COLOUR (DARK ALMOST BLACK)THEY DID THE SAME THING WHEN I PUT MY 3 OTHER REDS IN THERE.EVERYTHING BACK TO NORMAL,DONT LOOK LIKE IT CAUSED ANY DAMAGE

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
evil camel said:
MY REDS DID THAT TO,WHEN I MOVED THEM FROM MY 25 TO MY 90 GAL, THEY TURNED A SHINY SILVER FOR A DAY OR TWO THEN GOT BACK TO ORIGINAL COLOUR (DARK ALMOST BLACK)THEY DID THE SAME THING WHEN I PUT MY 3 OTHER REDS IN THERE.EVERYTHING BACK TO NORMAL,DONT LOOK LIKE IT CAUSED ANY DAMAGE

[snapback]868263[/snapback]​
Yes that is normal color change when they are under stress. But what he posted asking is why only the bottom half of his Ps are staying silver while the upper portion is turning black. Very weird if this is actually happening.

Post a pic for us.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
evil camel said:

[snapback]868263[/snapback]​
When moved to their new environment, was the tank cycled or propper water perimeters checked? Usually, color changing can be the cause of stress of breeding. Or even sometimes a tint or false color appears when reflections from outside of the tank bounces off the outter part of your Ps. Unless you can provide a picture, we can only assume what it might be. But as long as your Ps look and seem to behave fine, then theres really nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured that maybe they needed a water change cause it had been about 2 weeks since I had done it. so I cleaned it out realy good and they lost all of their colours and almost went white. they have their normal colours now but I was told that the way they were looking could possibly be signs of breeding. anythoughts on that?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Most Ps turn black in their breeding state, not white. Also, i'd like to know the method on how you actually clean your tank (gravel vac or water change). Im thinking that your way of "cleaning it out" may have been the factor and caused this stress.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I do a water change I use a gravel vac and suck up anything that is on the sand ie algea fish sh*t pieces of left over shrimp, and drain out about 15% of the water so when I'm all done it looks like a freshly set up tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thetyeman said:
when I do a water change I use a gravel vac and suck up anything that is on the sand ie algea fish sh*t pieces of left over shrimp, and drain out about 15% of the water so when I'm all done it looks like a freshly set up tank.
[snapback]872829[/snapback]​
Don't sweat it mine do that if I put a dark back ground behinde them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts