Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been trying to improve my fishes color so i am feeding them white shrimp. So i went to my local fish store and bought a packet of frozen white shrimp.

This is not what i expected it too look like it is in a frozen block and you defrost little chunks and put them in your tank. Loads of "tiny" shrimp disperse and spread everywhere.

My fish did chase them and "LOVE" eating them but i have a few questions

1) How much should i give?
2)Can you buy bigger white shrimp
3) Is this the right kind of shrimp to feed your P's?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Hi

I have been trying to improve my fishes color so i am feeding them white shrimp. So i went to my local fish store and bought a packet of frozen white shrimp.

This is not what i expected it too look like it is in a frozen block and you defrost little chunks and put them in your tank. Loads of "tiny" shrimp disperse and spread everywhere.

My fish did chase them and "LOVE" eating them but i have a few questions

1) How much should i give?

Only chop up bite size portions enough to the point where all food gets devoured. If you see leftovers you can either remove it or leave it for a little while to see if it gets eaten later.
2)Can you buy bigger white shrimp

Probably. Look into Prawns.
3) Is this the right kind of shrimp to feed your P's?

If it is raw and the ingredients do not include preservatives and sodium then yes

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
White shrimp? Almost sounds like brine shrimp to me.

At 2" you should be feeding your fish at least two times a day if not three times. I like to feed smaller portions, but more of them.

If you want to improve the color of your fish look for foods high in carotenes. Pellets have one of the highest concentrates of carotene that I have seen. Plus, at 2" you really should not have any issues getting them to eat pellets (use the mini size). Remember, to vary their diet. Thus, keep using your white shrimp, and perhaps add brine shrimp, pellets, flake food, and krill to their diet. They really are not big enough to sever mouthfuls of fish flesh from tilipia or beef-heart at that size, so hold off on adding those to their diet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coldfire

Thanks for the input

my signature is old, my fish are like 3" inches now. They have no problem eating chichlid pellets (which takes up about 40% of there diet) It is definately white shrimp because thats what it says on the packet.

and they can eat 5 lance fish per session and they have no problem ripping the flesh of them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts