1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
prawns

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
You can use shrimp with the shell, krill, high color cichlid pellets, high color beta food, carrots (high in carotenes)....and basically any other foods that are high in alpha/beta carotenes.
~Taylor~

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
You can use shrimp with the shell, krill, high color cichlid pellets, high color beta food, carrots (high in carotenes)....and basically any other foods that are high in alpha/beta carotenes.
~Taylor~
This post sums it up completely.

Having good, healthy water helps too.

(Here's just my experience, not saying that there's any science behind it, but it seems if I have my water a little more toward the acidic side (6.0-6.4) it brings out their colors more... especially if the reduction is a result of peat or bogwood...)

·
Registered
775 Posts
where can you get prawns? Brine shrimp makes a mess in my tank. Only whole shrimp for me.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I get prawns from the seafood department of my local grocery store.
Make sure you get uncooked prawns though!
(I prefer krill though... my fish have a tendency to "Unshell" the prawns... you get krill at the lfs.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
~Taylor~
you feed carrots.....do you do any prep to them besides the normal rinse????

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
f*ck all that bs shrimp shell.

Go with top grade of flowerhorn or cichlid pellets.

Ive bene feeding my little red tha eveyr time i feed him and he has amazing red colour on him.

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
~Taylor~
you feed carrots.....do you do any prep to them besides the normal rinse????
[/quote]
I blend them up and they are added to my DIY homemade gelatin food. I doubt piranhas would eat them raw, since they are way too hard.
~Taylor~

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Another thing I just thought of...
Whenever I've increased the tannin in my water via peat pellets, bogwood, leaves or whatnot, the colors on the fish have really been highlighted.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Another thing I just thought of...
Whenever I've increased the tannin in my water via peat pellets, bogwood, leaves or whatnot, the colors on the fish have really been highlighted.
That is supposedly one of the things that blackwater extract is supposed to do...increase the vivid colorations of your fish. I don't know what the explanation is (I bet Harrykaa knows.), but I guess it mimics blackwater, and piranhas always have excellent vivid coloration when they are wild caught in the blackwaters of South America.
~Taylor~

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
The Pink Flamingo would be pure white if it weren't for it's nearly exclusive diet of shrimp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts