Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting up my new 20g tank.. i added pond rocks and playsand.. i set it up and the next day.. i put in a over grown feeder fish that i have had for months now and tested it out.. i got the water tested @ lfs and they said it was fine ph around 7.8 .. threw in something that lowers ph just a tad.. but i put in the feeder and he went from silver to WHITE. i know color change and pale mean's something but tommorw i'm getting my spilo cf.. and just wondering if it has
to do with water quality.. or is it just he is scared / stressed out!?!?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats wut i thought .. anyone else know for surE? or is it just random i dont wanan put my new spilo cf in there tommorw and end up with a dead one or colorless one
just wondering hehe

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It could be stress...but it might have something to do w/ those things u added to the tank...just give it sometimes...see how the gold fish does...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
What did you do to decrease its level and how much was a tad?? PH 7.8 is way too high for any Ps. The change of color from the feeder is an example of how spikeing of PH can effect any fish. Example: Water from the original plastic bag where the feeder came from to your high PH tank has differnt water level (PH). Taking out the feeder from good water perimeter then adding to your tank, has the same effect s of PH automatically shooting up.. which will and can kill your fish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had him in my 55g not from a bag from my lfs.. i think i fig out the main prob.. i added a new heater.. i noticed the temp was 90.. so i lowered it but i'm waiting for it to cool down i'm sure that was why he was stressed out.. idunno from 82 degress to 90 is prob wut happend.. also i put in about 1/2 tablespoon of this stuff that should put the ph down .2-4 i believe thast wut it said.. for every 10 gals .. i put in a cap full so just about 1/2 tablespoon

·
18,487 Posts
Water temp can cause stress also changing the coloration of your fish. Was the feeder swiming close to the top when the temp level was that high?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no , he went straight to the bottom his color changed.. he was just sitting for about 1 hour then slowly moving around the not swiming just slowing mopping around the bottom he is now swiming around but still has pale coloration

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i woke up 2 day hes still pale coloration.. temp is now around 80 .. ideas? wont he get color over night? u think its some type of ph change?

·
18,487 Posts
Ive re-read your first post and noticed that you just had the tank set up a day before you added a feeder..

One important question.. did you, have you, and how did you cycle your tank?? Usually cycling takes around a week or even less depending on treatment. I strongly advice you to check all PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels. I assure you that this has a big effect on the condition of that feeder..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts