Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm new to saltwater and I want to build a large reef tank for my girlfriend. I just had an idea to make an oregon coast tank, since I live in oregon and I think it would be an interesting peice to have. I'm not looking to do this quickly, I want to take my time and do it right. I am thinking I want a tank over 100 gallons, what kind of things would I need? What i'm asking is how big of a chiller? Also, if anyone sells coldwater fish or will I have to go get them myself? I plan on building my own skimmer, since it will need to be large and to be honest, i love building things. Any input would be appreciated, thanks a lot, bye.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come to think of it, there arent many cool looking fish that would be small enough for a home aquarium...plus so i guess what would be a cool saltwater tank? I like the look of reef tanks, anything nice, pretty, and active that could go in one?

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
I personally find inverts are among the most fascinating salt water creatures to watch. I could spend hours at the lfs staring at the crab/shrimp tank. Those and some corals along with some fish that won't eat the inverts would look awesome. Wrasses are cool too, really neat to see another fish let it pick at it's gills and inside it's mouth to remove parasites and such.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've been looking around a lot, like the past 5 hours, lol. and i really like gobies, sea anenome's, star fish, and scarlet shrimp. I like panther grouper too but they would eat all of these. My girlfriend wants a blue tang so i'm kinda building it around that, anyone with some words of advice? i agree, i really like inverts because there is so many little things happening. I was just kinda doing this for her and to have something different, but now i'm really starting to like the idea of having a saltwater tank, i dunno, there is just so much more to it, which i guess is why its harder, per say. anyway yeah, thanks for the advise, i'm lookin forward to getting this goin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts