Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Tyson said he is going to fight in june this year. I know a lot of people dont like him for whatever reasons , but I have been a fan since I was a little kid , I'm sorry but I think in his prime , he was the best ever. Just want to wish him good luck!!!!
I know hes way past his prime , but boxing itself as a sport is way past its prime. Go Iron Mike!!!

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
im a life long fan, I hope he does well, he is training with buddy mcgirt.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Who is he fighting? I bet he drops pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
WASHINGTONPOST.COM said:
Mike Tyson's manager, Shelly Finkel, said yesterday that he hopes to arrange another comeback fight for the former world heavyweight champion and was looking at MCI Center as a possible venue. But Finkel acknowledged that the bout has not been finalized and an opponent has not been chosen.

Tyson would also need to be granted a license by the D.C. Boxing and Wrestling Commission. He has not yet applied for one.

"Nothing has come to our attention," said Arnold McKnight, a D.C. Boxing and Wrestling Commission member.

Tyson, who lives in Phoenix, appeared at a popular music festival in Rome last week and said he would fight in Washington, according to a report by Reuters news service. Tyson turns 39 on June 30 and has not fought since being stopped in four rounds by British journeyman Danny Williams last July.

"It looks that way," Finkel said when asked if rumors about the fight at MCI Center were true. "He's in good shape."

Tyson has flirted with fighting in Washington in the past. In 2002, Finkel attempted to engineer a championship bout between Tyson and titleholder Lennox Lewis for the city after Tyson was denied a license in Nevada.

Citing Tyson's 1992 rape conviction and his biting off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear in a 1997 bout, the D.C. Boxing and Wrestling Commission held a public hearing on whether the fighter should be licensed in the city.

Area religious leaders, feminists and the Greater Washington Board of Trade lined up against Tyson, but, after a raucous, decidedly pro-Tyson public hearing and a four-hour psychological examination, the commission voted to approve the license.

The fight, however, wound up in Memphis, and Lewis dominated before Tyson was counted out on one knee in the eighth round.

As with all D.C. boxing licenses, Tyson's 2002 license was good for one year, so Tyson would have to reapply. If he did, the commission would carefully consider the application.

"After we get together with our legal and our advisory arm, we would proceed with caution," McKnight said. "We'd be concerned about the well-being of the fighter. He hasn't fought in a while. We'd err on the side of safety. . . . We'll move forward to what's best for the city and the fighter."

Finkel said yesterday that Tyson's prior experience with the commission paved the way for him to consider the fight in June. "They licensed us and they've been nice to us," he said.

Tyson could not be reached for comment.

Finkel said that June 25, an open date at MCI Center, would be the potential fight date.

"We have had a number of discussions with boxing promoters for possible upcoming events, but we have no agreements, contracts or confirmed dates at this time," said Matt Williams, a spokesman for Washington Sports and Entertainment, which operates the arena.

Several boxing Web sites have reported Tyson (50-5) would face journeyman Bob Mirovic, provided the Australian fighter wins a bout Saturday night in Germany. Finkel said Mirovic is not being considered for Tyson, but declined to name other potential opponents.

Tyson, one of the most devastating punchers in boxing history, became the youngest heavyweight title holder at age 20 when he knocked out Trevor Berbick for the WBC crown in November 1986.

After unifying the division's three principal championship titles, Tyson gained universal acclaim by knocking out undefeated Michael Spinks in one round in June 1988. Tyson lost his belts in 1990 when he was upset by James "Buster" Douglas in Japan. He had four more fights before being convicted of rape in 1992. He served three years of a six-year sentence before being released on parole in 1995.

He returned to boxing upon his release and won four fights before losing to Holyfield in their first bout in 1996. Since his disqualification for biting the following year in a rematch, Tyson has compiled a record of 5-2 with two no-contests.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys , I'm glad to know that there are people who see the REAL Mike Tyson. I was a big boxing fan for years , I have EVERY fight of Mike Tyson on tape (now on DVD). I wayched Mike from when I was a little kid. Anyway , on all those tapes , those bozos that announce do everything but blow Mike tyson , now that hes older all they can do is bash him. They dont seem to remember that Tyson, as a heavyweight , after he beat Berbick for the title in 1986 , Tyson defended succesfully that belt an amazing 4 times in 1987!!!! lets see these p*ssy fighters that fight every 2 years if they are lucky do that. Iron Mike was the best ever , I really think everyone had a hand in when he was beat by Buster Douglas. Iron Mike is my man!!!

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Jewelz said:

[snapback]928738[/snapback]​
That is a horrible photoshop.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jewelz
...That was the game many moons ago :nod: ...Was so damn frustrating at first until you had the pattern down on how to get Tyson...This thread had me go deep into the closets to pull out the newspaper I kept from when Tyson beat Larry Holmes to show a lil sign that yeah I've been a fan from back in the day

·
Registered
818 Posts
come on guys, i personally think he should leave it. be remembered for the great Iron Mike from years ago, not a has been. he got slapped around by lewis who is a good fighter granted but Danny Williams isnt really regarded as f*ck all over here in England and he slapped Tyson too. i think its a shame when once greats risk ruining their reputation with these come backs. the only saving grace maybe that hes blown all his money and thats the only reason hes doing it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm also a big Tyson fan. I love watching the man fight.

I do, however, think that he is the classic example of how a person can self-destruct. The man single-handedly destroyed everything he's ever had with no one to blame but himself.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
tweekie said:
come on guys, i personally think he should leave it. be remembered for the great Iron Mike from years ago, not a has been. he got slapped around by lewis who is a good fighter granted but Danny Williams isnt really regarded as f*ck all over here in England and he slapped Tyson too. i think its a shame when once greats risk ruining their reputation with these come backs. the only saving grace maybe that hes blown all his money and thats the only reason hes doing it.
[snapback]928855[/snapback]​
so true about williams
but i love iron mike and i wanna see him redeem himself
go mike go

lets start an offical p-fury fan club for iron mike lol

·
Skankzilla
18,324 Posts
He'll lose. When his old trainer passed away years ago, Mike just hasn't been the same. He lost a father figure and when he lost that, he lost all touch of reality and went crazy.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
SMITZ71 said:
Jewelz
...That was the game many moons ago :nod: ...Was so damn frustrating at first until you had the pattern down on how to get Tyson...This thread had me go deep into the closets to pull out the newspaper I kept from when Tyson beat Larry Holmes to show a lil sign that yeah I've been a fan from back in the day

[snapback]928853[/snapback]​
HOLY sh*t, look at Mikes quads, fricken huge. I hope he makes a comeback, i like his crazyness.

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Fido said:
SMITZ71 said:
Jewelz

[snapback]928853[/snapback]​
HOLY sh*t, look at Mikes quads, fricken huge. I hope he makes a comeback, i like his crazyness.
[snapback]929096[/snapback]​
you call THOSE huge ?

then what do you think about Ronnie Coleman's quads (even though he looks like a buffed out Village People reject in this pic)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts