Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a clown pleco today.. he's just hiding in the corner though... But that's okay. I'd be shy too if I were him. when I bought my other sailfin pleco (jaws) 6 months ago, he was 2 inches and hid in the corner for 3 or 4 days, now he swims around in front of me, sometimes follows me around the tank! He's 8 inches now. The clown (nameless) is 2.5. Maybe he'll grow up huge too? Or do they only grow to be relatively small? They are both in a 33 gal with 4 angelfish, 5 mollies (2 black, 1 silver, 1 marble, 1 baloon), 2 guppies, and 2 neon tetras. But they're going to be moving to my 150 gal in 2 weeks.. it's still being cycled. In there will be a silver arowana (I'm thinking 2-3 of them, but just one to start), and perhaps a couple oscars or convicts. who knows, I still need ideas for tankmates though, if anyone has kept arowana with any fish, let me know. Also, I'm going to be getting rid of my angels, they are getting too big for a livebearers-breding tank! my guppies will be born any day now... anyone else breed fish? I'm going to be breeding bettas again next week.

Also, does anybody know what kind of pleco this is? :

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase

I have a clown pleco too, and I really like the little bugger. He started sucking on drift wood without half an hour after release, and is pretty active nowadays (three months later).
Funny thing: he's actually not really swimming, like my common pleco's do, but it looks more like he's hopping around on the gravel

Clowns will get about 4" in size when mature.

Here's a pic of clown, who is about 2" in size (note the size difference with the sailfin pleco to the left):

He loves shrimps, algae tablets, feeder leftovers, and I guess basically anything he finds when cruising, eeeh hopping through his tank.
I heard they extract certain chemicals or traces from bog wood, and need that to remain healthy, so a couple of pieces of wood are absolutely necessary for his well-being!!!

As for a name: I'd call him Pennywise
(or Ronald McDonald
)

I don't know what species the other one is: check out www.planetcatfish.com or www.scotcat.com!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I think you should name it Dean

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow they are tiny compared to other plecos! I'm wondering if the sailfin grows about the same as the common now, because I'd love to have a huge guy. I think they are beautiful, well... maybe they're just so ugly they appear to be. Whatever... He's still hiding in he same spot. I think he stayed there all nite.. I'm getting discouraged.
I feed my sailfin lettuce occasionally, and he loves it. I've never seen him eat that savagely in he whole time I've owned him. Pennywise is nice. Now he's got a name. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I would call him NORMAN. Looks like a Norman.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
very nice pleco youhave..name him innes

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
If I ever get a Clown Pleco, I'd name him Krusty :biggrin:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. Pennywise. Do you want to name a fish? How about one of my angels? I'll reserve the biggest one's name for you.

thanks for the links

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
baby_dragon said:
Do you want to name a fish? How about one of my angels? I'll reserve the biggest one's name for you.
how about Phillip?

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Name it skittles, by the way are you putting all your fish in with your arowana wont they get eaten>?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts