Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my new Aqua Clear Aquatics 200 wet/dry !!
I did a no-no. I added 150 lbs. of play sand to my tank, unwashed.
Don't worry, no fish in the tank.
I thought after awhile the filter will clean it up, if I stir the bottom up every now and again.
Maybe some large water changes are in order..?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Wish I had a hang on, or a large power head with pre-filter to aid in the process...Budget won't allow.

-ttldnial

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Be careful that your pumps/filters don't get clogged up with all the silt that's still whirling around!!!
I nearly demolished a small sponge filter in my 15 community tank with a sandy substrate, because it was all messed up with nasty, sticky stuff (even though I did rince the sand). Luckily, I discovered it just in time.

I advise you to keep a close eye on your pump's/filter's performance - as soon as it's dramatically decreasing, shut them off, and clean them thoroughly...

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I would leave the filters off. Just do slow waterchanges untill most of it is gone. Sand will damage magneto impellors.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think running the filter is a mistake. Do alot of water changes and let all the sand settle ( 1 week tops ) and then start the filters again. I did around 20 water changes in 2 days and it took my tank about 4 days to clear up. Good luck. And may the Pleco that lost his life due to sand inhalation RIP. Ill see you soon good buddy !!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
i washed all of my sand in hot water for about an hour (50lbs..) and when i added water to my tank it only took abuot 1 hour for it to be crystal clear............... wow.......... sand is so much better!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
phensway said:
i washed all of my sand in hot water for about an hour (50lbs..) and when i added water to my tank it only took abuot 1 hour for it to be crystal clear............... wow.......... sand is so much better!!!!!!!!!!!
the sand that was once in my aquarium is now in my garden. Need I say more about sand. Next time I am not getting play sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts