Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 55 gallon set up for a little over three months now and all of the sudden it has gotten cloudy
. I originally thought it might be leftover beefheart, but after a thorough vacumming and water change the problem remains. I have 3 red bellies, an oscar, a pleco, and a red lobster (at least that was what it was deemed at the LFS) in this fifty five and more than adequate filtration. Does anyone have any ideas as to what has caused this and possible solutions to the problem?

·
Registered
256 Posts
a lot of times what causes cloudy water is the small little things in your gravel and i know you vacumed it but maybe try going deeper?
there is a solution you can but at ur LFS that makes cloudy water vanish, or close to vanishing but i am not sure what its called but you should try to isolate the thing that is causing the cloudy water and deal with it.
maybe driftwood with a fungus?

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Do you do routine water changes?

What sizes are the fish in there? (oscars can be very messy)

How big is the pleco? (they create ALOT of waste)

Be sure you have adequate filtration, that's alot of messy fish in a small tank. You may think you do but your water is saying otherwise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the same thing happened with mine. i threw in some algae-cide and its almost gone. i had a brown algae problem, so you might have algae, i dunno, though. i havent really heard anything about algae clouding up the water, and it might have just been a coincidence, but its worth i shot i guess

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
nyquil said:
the same thing happened with mine. i threw in some algae-cide and its almost gone. i had a brown algae problem, so you might have algae, i dunno, though. i havent really heard anything about algae clouding up the water, and it might have just been a coincidence, but its worth i shot i guess
I have that problem with only one of my 8 tanks. I belive in my situation its an alge bloom. my water parimeters are beutifull, ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 15 ppm. Im still working on clearing it up, I have ben told a sponge filter will suck the alge right up. I got to find me one of those.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do a water change every 5 days or so, 20%. I have two Whisper 40s and an undergravel filter hooked up to two powerheads (I don't remember the power rating on the two). I add the recommended dosage of Amquel every time I do a water change. The oscar is about 8", the piranhas are 9", 6", 5", and 3". The pleco (9") and lobster (9") are brand new to the tank (I just added them 3 days ago, the water was already cloudy at that point). I actually added the last two to eat the leftover food that I might have sunk to the bottom that I do not get out. I guess it could possibly be fungus on my driftwood; is the fungus actually visible?

·
Registered
707 Posts
this may sound dumb, but my water appeared to be cloudy and murky and i got all paranoid but it turns out i just never washed the tank or the rocks before i added water so maybe try cleaning the glass next time you do a water change, maybe it will help

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
Hopefully they have fixed the problem by now...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Do you do routine water changes?

What sizes are the fish in there? (oscars can be very messy)

How big is the pleco? (they create ALOT of waste)

Be sure you have adequate filtration, that's alot of messy fish in a small tank. You may think you do but your water is saying otherwise.
just keep doing water changes everyday if necessary. I had that problem and I did 50% water changes for 7 days straight and it finally is now crystal clear and the P's and much more active too.

good luck

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
What are your water parameters? Usually cloudy water=bad water. You say you have good filtration, what kind of filtration do you have on that tank? That is a highly overstocked tank, you should consider upgrading in the near future.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
Again, the thread is over four years old. If the OP has not fixed the problem yet, it is either a very expensive problem or it has driven them from the hobby.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.