Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is biting me, always pissing me off too, i picked up a tank a few months back so the its cycled, the tank measurements are 48L x 24D x 15 1/2H and its considered an 80g...im running a fluval 304 on it w/ no power heads, i have four 5 1/2" caribe and two 5 1/2 - 6" red belly's in there...gravel substrate, 2 48" long bulbs for light, not near any windows, no live plants, for bio or what not in my filter i have crushed lava rock (i think its good)...anyways, i did a normal tank clean vac, algae scrub water change on saturday, by tuesday i already had clear algae all over my glass...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You have 6 Pygo's in a 75 (actually 77) gallon tank. That is too much, overstocking. Therefore you have problems with nutrients. And that with no plants is the causing algal growth. but what do you mean by clear algae. Probably it is light brown, which would mean Diatoms.

You must do more frequent water changes and do measure the NH4, NO2 and NO3 levels + the pH.

Harry

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yep. your Macro ferts are getting too high in the tank from the high amount of fish waste. gonna need to keep a much tighter ship. maybe do larger water changes each week. I would suggest adding plants and or cutting back the # of P's.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the algae is clear, never had brown in my life...PERSONALLY IMO im not over stocking this, what do you tell people with a 120 lay-out...you can toss in atleast 6 full grown's in there....i got that lay-out...i know for a fact people on here have said height doesnt matter on fish tanks, so thats what im here for...i do atleast 40% water changes a week i make sure im on top of that, ill consider picking up an xp3 when i have the money...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Post a pic it may not be algea. It sounds like a fungus that usually grows on wood. That or it may be snail eggs. If it is a fungus it won't do any harm just scrap it off and in a few weeks it won't come back.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i have the same sh*t in my tank too !!!!!!!!!!!!

god its driving me nuts as well.......scrub and water changes do not cure it by far
i am a nut when it comes to water quality and the general health of my guys.
i dont know what in the hell to do about that as well.

if too much diotam, how do you cure that harry?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i have the same problem, white little hairs on the glass, if you take a white sponge and wipe the hairs off it actually becomes green, like a release or chlorophil or something, so i think its green algae in its young form, maybe?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it always comes back, just came back right quick this time, i clean my glass every time i do a change, but this time it came back within 2 days, usually takes up to my next clean day til i can notice it...beats me

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello why don't you guys try and post a pic. Sounds like This is actually Cyanobacteria. Commonly referred to by the initials BGA. BGA is a green shiny slimey algae. It's got a nasty smell to it. It tends to grow in sheets. It is very different from most algaes. BGA is a bizarre combination of bacteria and algae.
It is common in two different circumstances:

In very low nitrate situations, BGA will sometimes form. It is able to get nitrogen from the air. I've seen BGA several times right near the surface, under the filter return. In this location, it can obtain nitrogen from the air. Adding Nitrate to maintain a 5-10ppm nitrate level often eliminates the BGA.

BGA has also been found to occur in situations where poor water currents in the tank result in low O2 levels in portions of the tank. In these cases, increasing water movement will often eliminate the BGA.
No fish will eat BGA. As stated above, BGA is a bacteria. Some studies suggest that BGA contains toxins. This would explain why nothing will eat it. As a last resort, antibiotics have been used to clear BGA. But antibiotics should be used carefully. They can damage bio-filter bacteria, and mis-use of antibiotics can be harmfull to the fish.

Until you actually post a pic again it's only a guess. If it is BGA try not to scrap it as it will realese spores into the water and it will come back twice as strong. If it is BGA and you don't have live plants small doses of algae killer will do. If you do have plants try increasing C02 into the tank and cut back on your ferts. You can also try and black out the tank for a couple of days as it needs light to grow.
But it's only works for BGA and not 1 pic has been posted so don't jump in just yet.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it has no green to it what so ever, its 100% clear...its about 1/8 of an inch long maybe a 1/16th...ill just have to wipe it off and what not

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
it has no green to it what so ever, its 100% clear...its about 1/8 of an inch long maybe a 1/16th...ill just have to wipe it off and what not
Well a picture would probably help, but it needs to be a macro pic then.

All the algae are colored living cells. They all have, because they are autotrophic and photoactive, two or more different photoactive pigments in their cells and usually these pigments are situated in special cell organs, chloroplasts. The pigments are commonly green (light or dark), yellow to brown or red.

Harry

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Yeah, I got the same sh*t on my 55. It looks like.....well......clear algea, as stated by the others. Kinda like little hairs, but in a fungus type of way, or bacteria maybe. IDK, but the sh*t will absolutely not go away once it is in the tank. No matter what. I have used all diff types of meds, algea removers, and always keep extremly good conditions in all my tanks. has extra plenty of filtration, and there is no way to rid of it.

Gotta see this stuff for yourself, because Dennis' pic just don't do it any justice. I wish this curse on nobody. ALWAYS taking the mag-float over the glass. Luckily, my 55 is the only tank it ever gets in. It does however get a little bit of light from outside through the blinds in a 3" wide strip for a few hours during the day across half the tank, however, I feel that to be an unlikely source for the problem.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Ryan, try some algea destroyer, im not a fan of chemicals, but this stuff works pretty
well so far, i dont see any regrowth yet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts