Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
As of right now I have babies growing in a 10ga tank and use a siphon setup that is made by AquaCulture(I think) and it works decently. Cant really get all that much flow though but it pick up the junk out of the Gravel.......

At this point, I have no problems sticking my hand in the tank a little to move the siphon around. However, Im sure I will stop feeling this way as they get bigger. I like my fingers, all of them...... and intact.

How do you all clean the Piranha tanks???

·
Registered
256 Posts
well usually piranhas will go to the opposite side you are working on. you obviously dont wanna stress them out any more than you have to because if they are stressed, then there is a greater chance of them attacking you. suddle movements, always having an eye on them and just generally being catious. mine arent big enough to take a finger off ( 6-6.5 inches) but then can definately take chunks off i can only imagine full grown ones

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I have some pretty large pygos and never worry about cleaning the tank. They are getting much more curious and will not hesitate to swim by my hand when I am trying to adjust something. You just need to keep an eye out and understand that if they really wanted to take a bite of you...there is pretty much nothing you could do anyways because they are much faster than you think.
You are going to be in trouble with the size of your tank very soon though. Multiple pygos in a 10 gallon is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
51 Posts
when they are that small (in a 10g tank - they must be small), don't worry at all. their jaws are still small so their teeth can't reach out enough to bite into your skin. I got bitten once (I was holding a small pinch of bloodworms and was playing with them) by my rbp but it just felt like they touched my finger -> no pain at all.

When they get bigger -> mine are like 3 inches, and now I use a very long siphon to clean the gravel (longer than the height of my tank).

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
im getting a pyhton too with a big syphon im not giving any p large or small a chance to bite me

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i just use a gravel vac and keep an eye on my p's.
when they were small the used to go to the other side of the tank and i knkw have to herd them over with the vac before i start but they always start to swim about and never show any interest im me.
i do think if they were cornered they would bite but i dont stress them out too much so they feel comfortable and try as take as little time as possible.
really they see you as a predator and want nothing to do with you but you always have to be carefull.
i have done this with p's over 8'' also
dixon

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hehehe I just said:
big b1 is your avatar a pic of someone cutting the lips off a piranha? if so that is really shameful.
u know what a knife looks like.. right? its a knife, not a sword. theres only a blade on 1 side.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I saw the big version of that pic and the person is using the back of the knift to puch the lip down to show teeth. Not cut them off.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
kawi ryder said:
I saw the big version of that pic and the person is using the back of the knift to puch the lip down to show teeth. Not cut them off.
exactly
ive also seen that done loads usually they do this on programs on p's on the tv
dixon

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i have a python it works awesome...the other day i was moving the heater in my 9" piranhas tank i have 2 of them in a 55 and one of the fuckers went up and took a nick out of my finger i can stick my hand in there and pet em and stuff and they eat out of my hand but that f*cker didnt like me messing with the heater...i tried it again and he went back up for me and then i stuck my hand in the tank and they went to rub up against it i dont know what was up with that. so just be careful :nod:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts