Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off i bought $40.00 of gravel Detroit and i live in battle creek. This stuff looks great but it is so god dam dirty. i cleaned it for about 2 hours and it looked good. Put it in my tank and it looked like sh*t. it was so dirty. I cleaned it by putting it in a large container, filling it with water, mixing it around then pooring it out. Can someone plz tell me a better way to do this.

The gravel came in an un marked brown bag.

it was enough for a 55 gal tank.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Define dirty? Is it covered in algae or something? If it is just the normal fish waste etc it should have cleaned up when you rinsed it...Or try gravel vac'n it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What color was it suppose to be? I have seen natural gravel that has a rust color to it.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Yeah rust colored gravel I have seen not. And my dad used to run a landscaping supply yard while I was a kid. Post some pics. At any rate as long as its not a clay and will continue to break down as you clean it it will eventually come clean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the gravel its self is kinda a rust color. It is natural gravel

I got it because it is very fine. did not want sand

i would post some pics but i drained the tank. but i still have some in a little container.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
well only thing I can say is just keep rinsing it. Its not something you can do quickly. It takes some time to do. So get comfy and get rinsing. Each bucket you should be spending about 15 min on. Minimum.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Do a full gravel vac every two or three days for a while, i had to also beacuse mine was crazy dirty.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
when i put new gravel in my tank i normally soak it all in boiling water first, yes this isnt really a fast way to do it but hey i know it is clean and safe to use in the tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts