Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Look into my eyes!
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We pulled out my GF's old 30 gallon, and were wondering what we should use to clean it so we can put the rocks plants, etc in it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Honda99_300ex said:
Bleach and water, DON'T USE SOAP.......just rinse it with the bleach and water and then fill it up with clean water and dechlorinate it and let it sit a while
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Please do not use bleach. You will have to soak the sh*t out of that tank afterwards and some of it will still stick in the deco and even the glass...this equals quick death for your fish you put in there. Use hot, almost boiling water for this task, I have done it for both a 55 and 29 gallon tank before. Clean everything with extremely hot water and soak and repeat and wipe down the glass with a cloth (preferably one that won't leave behind debri that will float in the water). Good luck.

Joe

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
What kind of film is caked on the tank.. algea, salt, white crap? I also in the proccess in cleaning out my 100 gal. A LFS employee told me about bleach also
No way would I use bleach in my tank.. I've tried parts of it with hot water and vinegar, and im going to another LFS after work to check out a spray used to clean tanks with salt water residue...

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Genin said:
Honda99_300ex said:
Bleach and water, DON'T USE SOAP.......just rinse it with the bleach and water and then fill it up with clean water and dechlorinate it and let it sit a while
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Please do not use bleach. You will have to soak the sh*t out of that tank afterwards and some of it will still stick in the deco and even the glass...this equals quick death for your fish you put in there. Use hot, almost boiling water for this task, I have done it for both a 55 and 29 gallon tank before. Clean everything with extremely hot water and soak and repeat and wipe down the glass with a cloth (preferably one that won't leave behind debri that will float in the water). Good luck.

Joe
Hot water is all you need. Then a good ol cycling will do the trick.

·
Look into my eyes!
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but I got impatient and bought a $6 for an 8 oz bottle of cleaner that they said to use
it better work.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you use hot water and corse sponge you should be able to clean the tank just fine. Don't use bleach or other types of cleaning things they are a waste of money, also a thirty gallon is rather small it shouldnt tank that long to clean it, if anything just get a out a hose and wash it outside.

·
Look into my eyes!
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been sitting for a while in her basement, like 10 years. So It had some dirt in it and dust and some rocks from when they used it.

·
18,487 Posts
Honda99_300ex said:
I have used bleach multiple times and it is fine for me
, never had any problems, as long as you dechlorinate it
Well, if bleached is used to treat driftwood, then I guess it can also be used to clean tanks.. But I still wouldnt use it.

Thanks, but I got impatient and bought a $6 for an 8 oz bottle of cleaner that they said to use it better work.
What product is this??

It has been sitting for a while in her basement, like 10 years. So It had some dirt in it and dust and some rocks from when they used it.
Thats nothing.. hot water and scrub it with cloth is all you need

·
18,487 Posts
Just came from 3 LFS. They didnt have any chemical, spray ons, or liquid to help dissolve the salt/algea situation. All adviced me to get either an algea scraper
Well, gonna try the vinegar method tomorrow.. shiet its gonna stink

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.