Piranhas Forum banner

Cleaning a New/Used Tank

243 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Piranha_man 
#1 ·
I just got a Used 55g tank from a buddy. It had goldfish in it for 15 years, and it looks as if, in those 15 years he didnt do a bit of maintenance to it. My problem is how to I get the Algea off the glass, I've tried a razor scraper, but that Im afraid will scratch the glass. Is there a chemical that I can use to get the algea and crap off the glass?

How should I go about cleaning it in general so that I can put some fish in it????? Thank you.

See less See more
#5 ·
you can use pool acid, spray it on and leave it for 5 mins and scrape it right off
then rinse well. use gloves and eye protection, i have used this on my 125g
which is up and running now. it will not harm sylicone nor paint or plastic.

i had a ton of calcium on it when i got it, it was an old saltwater tank and a trusted
LFS told me to use it, i have clened filters with it and they looked brand new!!!!

#8 ·
If you're worried about scratching the glass, use a brass bladed scraper. You can find one at most home improvement stores.

You may also find that you have hard water deposits. These are actually tougher to get off IMO and hard water deposits left on the glass can actually etch the glass some.

I've used vinegar mixed with popcorn salt (very fine grained) as an abrasive to scrub it with good results as well.

#10 ·
^^^^ He's trying to peer presure you into using the acid. LOL!!!

He is serious though, the sh*t works great.

Tell this guy where to get the miotic acid, and how much it costs Dennis.

#13 ·
Water and a razorblade will work just fine, and will not scratch your glass.
I try to stay away from chemicals period when it comes to my tanks... but that's just me.

On the other hand,
I've seen assclown's setups, and they're killer.
So if he says to use the sh*t, I ain't gonna argue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.