Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a breakout of some rusty lookin algae, my tank is full of preds that destroy crustaceans how long do you thing the snails will last? I have a couple trigs, a couple puffers, and a harlequin tusk.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Not long, it would be expensive food. Have you checked the phosphate levels? or nitrate? More flow,and clean water (Waterchanges) will take care of that. You can add a sump, and fill it with macro algae it will eat alot of the waste. I use a cpr hang on fuge, so i dont have to light up my sump. You can lessen the light time as well. I bet it is high phosphate/ silicate. What kild of substrate did ya use?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raptor said:
Not long, it would be expensive food. Have you checked the phosphate levels? or nitrate? More flow,and clean water (Waterchanges) will take care of that. You can add a sump, and fill it with macro algae it will eat alot of the waste. I use a cpr hang on fuge, so i dont have to light up my sump. You can lessen the light time as well. I bet it is high phosphate/ silicate. What kild of substrate did ya use?
[snapback]957186[/snapback]​
Well I dont have a phosphate tester kit, i will get one though. I do a 20% change a week. I have two powerheads and a pump from my sump. what macro algae product is good? I have a half live sand half crushed coral. Nitrate levek is 0 and the only parts of the tank which have the rusty algae are where light directly hits.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Macro algae is alive. Its like a seaweed. It grows and eats the bad stuff from the water column before your micro algae gets it. (Diatoms, and hair algae)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well being the dumb ass that I am I went ahead and bout over 20 turbo snails, costing about 50 bucks. A few of them didnt even make it to the bottom of the tank before being pushed over by the huma and the clown, then just getting demolished, they have polished off about 5 of them and the others are getting acclimated. I wonder what the chances of them lasting throughout the night are...probly not very good.

G

·
Don't worry about it. That's how we learn. If you have enough for a 125g, with 20% water changes every week, I'm sure you can afford the $50.

Good luck with your tank tho, you have some awesome fish!

--Dan

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had that problem when I had my 55 set up, I had a Huma Huma and to get rid of the sh*t I got a golden head sleep goby, and he ate all the stuff up and the fish never bothered him.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
well if you think you could manage it you could get a sea urchine
there are algae eating species and have realtivley few natural enemies due to their spines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts