Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have enough cinder blocks to build a solid stand for my 180 gallon glass tank 4 blocks high. I read that glasscages only honors the warranty if their tank is on one of their stands. I dont feel like their stands are strong enough but I wanted to know from you guys what you think i should do. Plus i can hide all my equipment underneath if i get a stand from them. Does anyone have a stand from there or similar? Is it plenty strong enough to hold all the weight? I know im probably just over thinking it but any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
hey man well id say the stand would hold the tank fine if that the only way they warranty it. but cinder blocks work good too, My buddy and i built his stand out of them and it looks wicked. obviously make sure you got a bored on-top of the blocks then Styrofoam or something soft under then tank.
good luck man lets see some pics once your setup

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to wait til the 7th to fill it with water so at the moment Im just trying to get everything else ready. I will definintely get pics up though when I start setting it up
Got any pics of that stand you built? THanks

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
the stand is made for the tank and weight of the water...if you dont trust the stand you can add some 1x1 or2x2 or 2x4 inside the stand to make it stronger.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
hey man well id say the stand would hold the tank fine if that the only way they warranty it. but cinder blocks work good too, My buddy and i built his stand out of them and it looks wicked. obviously make sure you got a bored on-top of the blocks then Styrofoam or something soft under then tank.
good luck man lets see some pics once your setup
hes right, our buddy's tank looks pretty good, thanks to the help of mr dairy whip over there :nod:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha I keep hearing about it...I want to see it! Post some pics up if you can or get him to

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have enough cinder blocks to build a solid stand for my 180 gallon glass tank 4 blocks high. I read that glasscages only honors the warranty if their tank is on one of their stands. I dont feel like their stands are strong enough but I wanted to know from you guys what you think i should do. Plus i can hide all my equipment underneath if i get a stand from them. Does anyone have a stand from there or similar? Is it plenty strong enough to hold all the weight? I know im probably just over thinking it but any help would be greatly appreciated!
You know if the tank breaks on their stand they have to replace it... so either way, it might break right? I would go with the stand they will warranty. That way, if something happens its not out of your pocket.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
cinder blocks are fine, you can build a stand for cheap

$60.00 for my stand............pic

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a great looking stand for $60. After going over my options I think Ive decided to use the cinder blocks since I already have them. Assclown how did you put your tank on the cinder blocks? Did you just make a frame of 2x4 and put that on top of them? Thanks for all the replies guys I just cant see spending the money on a stand when I can put the money to better use. THe warranty is only a seal warranty and for 90 days. so i am not even considering that. ANy suggestions on the construction of the stand would be great. Pics are a plus !

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think the cyinder blocks will work fine but a stand will be the best so I thinkeither way the tank will be supported enough. Good luck

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
both work. i have the iron stands so can put tank(s) on the top and bottom. but i have seen some really nice tank setups on cinder blocks. all the person did was use a black sheet to put over the blocks, i liked it a lot

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thats a great looking stand for $60. After going over my options I think Ive decided to use the cinder blocks since I already have them. Assclown how did you put your tank on the cinder blocks? Did you just make a frame of 2x4 and put that on top of them? Thanks for all the replies guys I just cant see spending the money on a stand when I can put the money to better use. THe warranty is only a seal warranty and for 90 days. so i am not even considering that. ANy suggestions on the construction of the stand would be great. Pics are a plus !
my old tank was a 150g and i made sure that the blocks supported all 4 corners and the
center of the tank, make sure you do not pile the blocks higher than 4 to 5 foot, otherwise
it will in fact tip over, there is a formula for this but it eludes me at this time

i built my stand just at the cusp of height, like 72" i belive

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IM in the process of stacking them right now. Im only doing 31 inches tall which puts my overall height at 55 inches. I got a board to put on top of the cinder blocks to make it level and also some insulation sheets that should help in leveling. Anything else I need?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
well im sure he means stack em level and even so the wait of the tank is spread out properly
or else one day your going to come home to a swimming pool. you dont want that......

1 - 20 of 52 Posts