Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't comment on what is or isn't safe since I don't know much about snake husbandry, nonetheless I suppose it serves as a reminder that some of these animals can still be very dangerous if something goes wrong.

Man strangled by his 4-metre pet snake
Dec. 17, 2006. 06:10 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CINCINNATI - A four-metre boa constrictor wrapped itself around its owner's neck and killed the man in his home, authorities said.

An acquaintance found Ted Dres, 48, inside the snake's cage Saturday and called police, the Hamilton County Sheriff's office said.

The snake was still strangling Dres when deputies arrived, and the officers had to work with members of an animal protection group to remove the reptile, the sheriff's office said.

Dres' snake will be kept at an animal shelter awaiting instructions from police or Dres' family, said Andy Mahlman, spokesman for the Cincinnati Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"People who keep these type of animals as pets should know exactly what they're doing and what they're capable of," Mahlman said.

He said he has seen photographs of reptile owners posing with snakes coiled around their necks.

"They don't realize they could be a few seconds away from death," he said.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...epath=News/News

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
You usually hear of a large python doing this, but I guess that's why "boa constrictor" seems to be an apt name for these guys...hopefully a lot of less-experienced snake owners who have boas (and large pythons--eek!) hear about this and learn a lesson.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
There has never been a boa constrictor caused fatality. NEVER. Sadly as with the amount of "piranhas" captured that are actually pacus...news agencies seldom have a grasp of animal identification, especially of any type of "exotic"...some of the reports had it as a ball python....even worse than calling it a boa constrictor....

The Cincinatti man was named Ted Drees, and sadly he was only 48 years old. The snake that killed the late Mr. Drees was a Burmese Python, (Python molurus bivittatus) a breed that gets large...and is incredibly powerful....and also claimed the life of a young man in Indiana earlier this year.

I can not OVER EMPHASIZE the need for understanding that reptiles are not dogs or cats, that they do not know or love their owners.....this unfortunate man loved his pets and believed that this python "loved" him as well....

I was heart broken for his mother when this happened...I truly am saddened for his friends and family.
May Mr. Drees rest in peace.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
yeah, i would be assuming that the snake was a python of some sort or else that boa would be the longest ive ever heard of. 4meters is crazy for a boa.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
thats really sad ... it would make anyone think twice about getting one. i agree with a previous statement i hope ppl learn from this reptiles can/ are dangerous even for the best and most experenced herpers.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Very, very sad. I was bit by a Burmese Python once. Even after feeding him two or three large rats he grabed a hold of my hand while I was trying to remove him from his enclosure for cleaning. I learned a lot that day in regards to respect their power.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
that is sad..
that's why i dont want to keep large snakes as pets, they can easily kill you in a minute.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This has been a bad year for reptile owners... I hope no uneducated regulations get passed but sadly that is often the case. I truly thin k that the truely large snakes should require a permit to own.

·
Banned
9,412 Posts
There has never been a boa constrictor caused fatality. NEVER. Sadly as with the amount of "piranhas" captured that are actually pacus...news agencies seldom have a grasp of animal identification, especially of any type of "exotic"...some of the reports had it as a ball python....even worse than calling it a boa constrictor....

The Cincinatti man was named Ted Drees, and sadly he was only 48 years old. The snake that killed the late Mr. Drees was a Burmese Python, (Python molurus bivittatus) a breed that gets large...and is incredibly powerful....and also claimed the life of a young man in Indiana earlier this year.

I can not OVER EMPHASIZE the need for understanding that reptiles are not dogs or cats, that they do not know or love their owners.....this unfortunate man loved his pets and believed that this python "loved" him as well....

I was heart broken for his mother when this happened...I truly am saddened for his friends and family.
actually anacondas are technically "boas", and from what i hear, they've killed several people in south america. they also reach lengths exceeding 25ft and weight several hundred lbs.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts

actually anacondas are technically "boas", and from what i hear, they've killed several people in south america. they also reach lengths exceeding 25ft and weight several hundred lbs.
[/quote]

I think CK meant that no red-tail boa has ever killed anyone, as some of the news reports stated. These snakes are commonly referred to as boa constrictors because their scientific name is Boa constrictor constrictor and Boa constrictor imperator. Otherwise referred to as BCC and BCI.

While anacondas are a boid, they are not a BCC or BCI. The yellow anaconda's scientific name is Eunectes notaeus and the green anaconda's is Eunectes murinus.

The confusion on this topic, I'm sure, comes from the colloquial useage of the term 'boa constrictor' in our everyday language.

·
Banned
9,412 Posts

[/quote]

I think CK meant that no red-tail boa has ever killed anyone, as some of the news reports stated. These snakes are commonly referred to as boa constrictors because their scientific name is Boa constrictor constrictor and Boa constrictor imperator. Otherwise referred to as BCC and BCI.

While anacondas are a boid, they are not a BCC or BCI. The yellow anaconda's scientific name is Eunectes notaeus and the green anaconda's is Eunectes murinus.

The confusion on this topic, I'm sure, comes from the colloquial useage of the term 'boa constrictor' in our everyday language.
[/quote]

agreed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts