Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Im not too sure. I've always thought of it as a determining factor or a male and female. Also it come with hereditary.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hastatus quoted some source for me:

Piranhas have fairly similar dorsum prominence but has not been determined to be sexual in nature. Cichlids are out of my domain, but can offer the following from a cichlid based web site:

George Barlow and Paul Siri considered many possible functions for the hump. It could be an organ of fat storage, offer mechanical advantage in fights, improve hydrodynamics, serve as an anti-predation device, or be the object of mate choice. First the researchers marshalled the facts. The hump changes size over time. It gets larger during courtship and actually shrinks during the parental phase. Males and females fight during the parental phase so if the hump was a fighting weapon, females should develop humps equal to those in males. Similarly, if the hump serves in fat storage or as protection from predators, why don't females develop them? Furthermore, the hump doesn't actually contain large volumes of fat, it is for the most part filled with water. The hydrodynamic explanation may apply to other kinds of fishes with humps (e.g., salmon), but the bulbous shape of the cichlid's hump is likely a hydrodynamic deterrent, if anything.

By offering female Midas cichlids a choice of rubber dummies of male Midas cichlids molded with differently-sized humps, Barlow and Siri found that females prefer males with humps over those without, but only up to a certain point. Once the hump becomes enormous, female preference declines. Several possible explanations exist. Hump size may serve as a measure of a male's condition or quality. Or, the hump may merely serve as a way to distinguish males from females. Many of the species with humps are highly monomorphic - males and females look alike - and the fact that the hump peaks in size at the time of pair formation strongly suggests a role in sex recognition. Nonetheless, the story is not finished because, as the researchers point out, well-fed fish develop larger humps: if sex recognition were the sole factor, the hump would develop to a specific size, but no further. The enormous humps seen on some captive males - and shown to be unappealing to females in the experiments - may not occur in the wild because it may not be possible for large males to afford such elaborate displays. Future experiments and observations will be needed to sort out the explanations for this intriguing character.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I dont know about you guys, but I sure dont like them

Thats not just in reference to PACKs pic either. I hope my jd/texas/gt don't get them very big, if at all

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
Flowerhorns and any fish with those big humps are ugly as hell in my opinion.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Those were good info, P45

I like the humps on Red Devils, but that Flowerhorn.. DAMN!!
Looks like a huge pimple ready to explode!!!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
jd don't grow humps ..do they? never seened one on jd...and do any of your frontosa have one unxchange?

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
JDs dont but my RD does. i hate it. its getting bigger and bigger. ewwww! i think the humps show how smart they are haha. ever wonder why cichlids are the smartest fw fish? its because of their huge hump!

·
Registered
277 Posts
thePACK said:
jd don't grow humps ..do they? never seened one on jd...and do any of your frontosa have one unxchange?
Yeah, most frontosas do get massive humps.

Burundi, zaire and kigoma frontosas get the largest humps when they are full grown.

I have a couple of burundis and kigomas, but they are not big enough to start getting grotesque humps, but my biggest Burundi does have a little hump, he's about 6 inches.

Mpimbwe Blue frontosas get humps also, but mainly their humps do not grow as big as the ones stated above.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
unxchange said:
thePACK said:
Yeah, most frontosas do get massive humps.

Burundi, zaire and kigoma frontosas get the largest humps when they are full grown.

I have a couple of burundis and kigomas, but they are not big enough to start getting grotesque humps, but my biggest Burundi does have a little hump, he's about 6 inches.

Mpimbwe Blue frontosas get humps also, but mainly their humps do not grow as big as the ones stated above.
i think frontosa look awesome with the humps...
they look mean as hell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.