Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Ok that's it, I'm fed up with these damn threads. Most of these are the absolute minimum for your fish's comfort and health, take note if my answers are a bit larger than the most common...

Here is going to be an absolute minimum tank size list. Someone pin this....

New World Cichlids

Covicts-At least a 20g for one and at least a 33g for a pair. Convicts max out at about 6"

Dovii-The wolf cichlid. One of the largest and meanest...at least a 240g is in order for a single specimen.

Festae-If you have the true Red Terror then a 125g is needed.

Flowerhorn-It truly depends on what strain you got it and whether or not it's a male or female. If it's a female at least a 55g for most. If it's a male then you MUST get a 75g.

Green Terror-At least a 75g, Green Terrors can and do get up to 14"

Jack Dempseys-At least a 30g for and a 55 for a pair. However, Jack Dempseys do take a while to grow to 8", some 10"

Jaguar Cichlid(Managuense)-No matter what you're gonna need a 75g, if it's a male I would say a 100g is going to be needed.

Midas Cichlid-ABSOLUTE minimum is a 75g, 90g are preferred as pure Midas tend to get up to 14"+

Oscar-75g IS THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM! No less and you're gonna be f*cking over your fish.

Peacock bass - If you get a Ocellaris or Monoculus you must have at LEAST at a 240g tank waiting.

Red Devil-75g is preferred...they max out at around 12". If you have a female you possibly could get away with a 55g.

Texas- A 75g. 'nuff said.

Trimac - These get big and thick. A 75g is needed.

Uro(fake red terror)-A 55g is a must.

And I have no idea about africans....if I missed a common CA cichlid sold then please correct me and I will add it in....

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
I agree for most of that. but you are wrong at a few places...

festae - female will do ok ina 75 or 90 but a male is going to need a 125 or a 180 since they do get 18".

Peacock bass - you are going to need a 240+ to keep one or a small group of these since they get atleast 24".

uro - most stay around 8-10" and can be kept in a 55g easily.

other than that it looks good

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok thanks for the save lol.

·
Different Like A Platypus
3,665 Posts

weren't u the guy that said ur 4 inch convict could beat tha sh*t outta a Cariba?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i beg to differ in the RD tank size... I know that the bigger the better but my RD is in a 20 gallon and is about 5". I got it when it was 2" and had it in a 10 gallon tank until it was 5" then moved it into a 20 gallon... it's happy as is.

i figure since it's used to the tank it's happy.

if i got the fish at a larger size alreay i could see how it would be cramped but currently its happy.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
you should move that fish to a larger tank once it get 6-7". if not it will become stunted and that will make it live a much shorter life

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RigidNeophyte said:
i beg to differ in the RD tank size... I know that the bigger the better but my RD is in a 20 gallon and is about 5". I got it when it was 2" and had it in a 10 gallon tank until it was 5" then moved it into a 20 gallon... it's happy as is.

i figure since it's used to the tank it's happy.

if i got the fish at a larger size alreay i could see how it would be cramped but currently its happy.
Right....do you read?? I'm sorry but do you?

They MAX OUT at 12"....to hold a Red Devil for life you need a 75g...and what lemmy said is right, you better find a new tank when its bigger than 7" otherwise it's going be stunted and either lead life filled with pain and misery or die from the pain and misery....

·
Registered
71 Posts
ya I know I'm going to need a bigger tank, but everyone is raving about how it needs like 75 gallons ASAP and honestly, mine is happy as is. I will get a bigger tank but considering I got a free 20 gallon, I'm not going to rush out and spend $500 when not only do I have no room for it, but my fish is fine as is.

it's still practically a baby

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
you dont need a 75g when they are babys. i dont think anyone said that... grow out tanks are fine as long as they grow w/ the fish

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lemmywinks said:
you dont need a 75g when they are babys. i dont think anyone said that... grow out tanks are fine as long as they grow w/ the fish
Well said

Oh and I apoligize Neophyte, I thought you meant you were going to leave your fish in the 20g.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ya i thought you might have seen it that way... I love my RD to much to make it miserable. It has Hole in the head from feeder fish right now... when i found out i cried... i love my RD almost as much as I love my pleco... and i really love my pleco...

actually i love my RD more.... but you get the idea

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.