Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding a red devil cichlid to my 55 gallon with my 3 8 inch reds. Just wondering how long this would last? Don't really care if the cichlid dies, obviously but I just was wondering like I said how long it would last??

·
Registered
891 Posts
unless your reds wont touch feeders then the poor devil doesnt have a chance. mine dont touch feeders so i put a rainbow cichlid in with them. they did fine.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
It would be impossible for anyone to tell you exactly how long it would last. However, my guess is not very long.

~Dj

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Untill the lights go out
Dunno for sure. Not long

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Are there any type of cichlid you guys know of that have a reputation of doing well with p's??

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Some had suceeeded on having cichlids with Ps. But as with most cichlids, they tend to bully other fish. And being with Ps, cassualties will occur and death to your cichlid .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some cool looking oscars the other day (2-3 inches), how do you think they would do with my reds. Probably die, right! Man I love the agrresstion level of piranha, but sometimes I wish you could put other fish in with them

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
oscars live with them in the wild...I'd be more worried about an oscar killing the Ps than the Ps killing the Oscar. Of course if the Oscars are much smaller than the Ps they are gonna be dead, but if they were the same size or bigger I wouldn't do it.

Someone once mentioned convicts, I'd try them, they don't get big and they are cheap, Maybe Kribs. With enough hiding spaces either 'might' live with your Ps.

keep us posted if you throw something in there and how successful you are

·
Registered
972 Posts
ncith said:
I saw some cool looking oscars the other day (2-3 inches), how do you think they would do with my reds. Probably die, right! Man I love the agrresstion level of piranha, but sometimes I wish you could put other fish in with them
An Oscar wouldn't stand a chance at all. They are the biggest wimps there are when it comes to fish. Great fish to keep, but only by themselves.

I don't think 3 3" rbp's would necessarily kill the RD. Depending on the RD, I think he would rule that tank and take them all out.

Cichlids are a LOT meaner and more aggressive than any p. He'll take all them out just as easy as they would him. A cichlid like a RD,Midas, FH or Tri would take each one of them out in time.

I see I'm in the minority here, but jmo.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Jor said:
I don't think 3 3" rbp's would necessarily kill the RD. Depending on the RD, I think he would rule that tank and take them all out.

Cichlids are a LOT meaner and more aggressive than any p. He'll take all them out just as easy as they would him. A cichlid like a RD,Midas, FH or Tri would take each one of them out in time.

he's saying he has 3 8in reds...it would have to be a 12 in or bigger cichlid to do any damage to them. That's why I thought convicts or kribs, they are small and might be able to hide from the reds when they are hungry

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
ncith said:
Cool. Are there any type of cichlid you guys know of that have a reputation of doing well with p's??
convicts because IMO theyre mean as hell and dont get big enough to pose a real threat

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I decided to see what would happen
I bought 2 of the oscars I saw the other day and put them in the tank! Right as they hit the water one of my reds was chasing those guys all over. He got a nibble on one of there fins but they have stoped messing with them all together. The three reds are on one side of the tank and the 2 oscars are at the bootom corner of the other side just sitting there. If the oscars come to far over the reds chase them away. I give it MAYBE the rest of the day, oh well they were cheap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i added 5 convicts to my tank.. one of them was eaten that same night but now my rbp's don't even bother them... i mainly bought them because they were cheap and they breed like crazy.. it'll be nice for some cheap feeders.. too bad the damn things dig so many holes.. they are messing with my decor

·
Registered
147 Posts
HawgHunter11 said:

Although cichlids might me more aggressive, they don't have the arsenal that Ps have, the "RAZOR SHARP TEETH".

·
Registered
972 Posts
ion said:
HawgHunter11 said:

Although cichlids might me more aggressive, they don't have the arsenal that Ps have, the "RAZOR SHARP TEETH".
Well, I don't want to get into ciclid vs. p debate because I hate them kind of debates. I am only going by my experience and if you don't think a cichlid can and will kill a p, you're mistaken. :smile:

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
yeah it will and can given the right circumstances but if im a betting man and p and cichlid of equal size and i mean rd,midas, the mean ones im still leaning towards teeth over lip locking lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts