Grouping: Cryptid
Data
First Reported: Early 1990s
Last Sighted: Present Day
Mexico,
Chile,
Brazil
South United States

The chupacabra (or chupacabras) is a cryptid said to inhabit parts of Latin America. It is associated particularly with Puerto Rico (where it was first reported), Mexico, Chile, Brazil and the United States, especially in the latter's Latin American communities and Maine. The name translates literally from the Portuguese and Spanish as "goat sucker" It comes from the creature's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, especially goats. Physical descriptions of the creature vary. Sightings began in Puerto Rico in the early 1990s, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile. Though some argue that the chupacabras may be real creatures, mainstream scientists and experts generally contend that the chupacabra is a legendary creature, or a type of urban legend.

The legend of cipi chupacabra began approximately in 1947, when Puerto Rican newspapers El Vocero and El Nuevo Dia began reporting the killings of many different types of animals, such as birds, horses, and, as its name implies, goats. However, it is predated by El Vampiro de Moca (The Vampire of Moca), a creature blamed for similar killings that occurred in the large town of Moca in the 1970s. While at first it was suspected that the killings were done randomly by some members of a Satanic cult, eventually these killings spread around the island, and many farms reported loss of animal life. The killings had one pattern in common: Each of the animals found dead had two punctured holes around its neck.

Soon after the animal deaths in Puerto Rico, other animal deaths were reported in other countries, such as the Dominican Republic, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, Peru, Brazil, the United States and, most notably, Mexico.

Both in Puerto Rico and Mexico, "el chupacabra" gained urban legend status. Chupacabra stories began to be released several times in American and Hispanic newscasts across the United States, and chupacabra merchandise, such as T-shirts and baseball caps, were sold.

The chupacabra is generally treated as a product of mass hysteria, though the animal mutilations are sometimes real. Like many cases of such mutilations, however, it has been argued that they are often not as mysterious as they might first appear, and in fact, a series of tests showcased by the National Geographic Channel in a show about the chupacabra pointed to the obvious conclusion that every single "animal mutilation" can be explained by either people killing them or, more likely, other animals eating them. The loss of blood may be explained by insects drinking it or sucking on their wounds.

·
Fire in your new shoes!!!!
2,298 Posts
Nachos!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
yes they are real.....It is believed that they originated in puerto rico

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Oh, you KNOW what my vote is...

nachos.

exsanguination

North Dakota

Is there even a 'species' for the choopa loopa?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I've never even heard of it before....but I voted 'No' and I'm praying to God that they aren't real.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
they are real....there is one is a museum in mexico.....not sure witch one though

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Wait, so they are real or not? Haha, I know that's what this whole topic is about, but I'm just now hearing about this. So if there has never been an actual specimen caught then it's probably a myth right, like bigfoot?
~Taylor~

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
they are real....there is one is a museum in mexico.....not sure witch one though
Well, that proves it then.

Chupacabra is real! It's available on VHS or DVD.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
Wait, so they are real or not? Haha, I know that's what this whole topic is about, but I'm just now hearing about this. So if there has never been an actual specimen caught then it's probably a myth right, like bigfoot?
~Taylor~
Point well taken, but remember that the Giant Squid hadn't been caught alive until this year and videotaped alive until last year...not saying one way or another on the chupacabra, just saying...

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
Wasn't Piltdown found in a museum at some point? Possibly a more credible one than the one you're mentioning...?

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Does a bear sh*t in the woods? Of course they are real. What....you guys have never seen one. I have some around my place that come out at night and get into everyones trash. They don't suck goats anymore....becasue jim99 does that now, and he won't share with them.

J/K

BTW.....nachos

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
NACHOS i am the chupacabra,
by the way NJ, i saw one at exit 137 on the GSP the other day, he says hi

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I got a kick out of the whole "They're alien visitor's pets that escaped during a landing."

Here's a pic of one that was recently spotted in South Texas.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts