Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe in spanking children as a discipline technique?

I was watching "Super Nanny" tonight and it brought up a cool question. I have not formulated my thoughts on it yet..... whats yours?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I dont know... Im torn between my answer.

I mean, I know some kids (especially little punk ass brats) under a certain age SHOULDN'T get any physical spanking. Now the older punk teenagers that dont listen.. thats a different story.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i hav e a 5 yr old son and when he warrants it he gets spanked no biggie, some ppl do some ppl dont imo some times kids need a butt whoopin when they act all out of line, i got whoopins, my mom did, my dad did, my aunts and uncles did, and were all fine no one needs to see a therapist, its aprt of life, kids test their boundries and our job is to let them know they reached it

·
Registered
175 Posts
when i was a child i guess i wasnt the best behaved. when i was around two i would slap people for no reason. my mom had a professor in phsycology that she talked to. he told her not to slap or spank me. he said to try and hug me. that didnt work. so she spanked me and i stopped right there. i dont believe physical punishment should be used for all punishments, but you have to use it once in a while. the best punishment is the threat, not the actual thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Absolutely you give your child an unbeliviable beating once in their life around 5 or 6. And use it as leverage for the rest of their lives. Timing is the key!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Papagorgio said:
Why don't you expand on the ups and downs Peacock? Instead of making a vague comment on the whole thing? My god....
[snapback]850458[/snapback]​
god dammit..

See Xenon.. this is the exact reason for the PMs i have been sending you..

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Peacock said:
there are many ups and downs to spanking and not spanking..
It is however better to not spank.
[snapback]850455[/snapback]​
YES THAT WAS A VAGUE AND dumb statement and that usually comes from ppl with no kids(like yourself) its all about the parent some feel its ok some dont, its kids that were and turned out good(like myself) and some who werent that turned out good theres no right or wrong answer, theres more than 1 way to skin a cat

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
I am pro-spanking if the kids is aching to recieve one. However some kids do not need spanking to set them straight. All they need is some non-stop talking. IE: My uncle has 2 childern. The oldest does not need to be spanked at all because he is what you called "easily scared." My uncle just has to talk to him in a firm and sometimes scary voice along with a punishment such as grounding or taking away something of his temperaily as reenforcment.

Then comes the youngest. He needs a spanking from time to time because he is sly. He likes to challenge/trick people and uses his strengths on adults who lets him slide on things. At times he crosses the line and a talk and grounding will not do so the only way to get him acting straight again is a spank on the butt.

I believe a little capital punishment will vary from kid to kid. Its not right to say spanking is always right.

·
VENOM
4,670 Posts
Peacock said:
god dammit..

See Xenon.. this is the exact reason for the PMs i have been sending you..
[snapback]850459[/snapback]​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say spank your kids it gets the point across better.

I mean what are you gonna listen to a good WHACK or a

" I am very disappointed in you"

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
thoroughbred said:
i hav e a 5 yr old son and when he warrants it he gets spanked no biggie, some ppl do some ppl dont imo some times kids need a butt whoopin when they act all out of line, i got whoopins, my mom did, my dad did, my aunts and uncles did, and were all fine no one needs to see a therapist, its aprt of life, kids test their boundries and our job is to let them know they reached it

[snapback]850355[/snapback]​
Thats a Good answer...but i dont really know what im going to do with my Little girl if she goes out of line 1 day..... I guess it depends on the situation..but i have a few years before i need to worry about that..till then ill just keep loving her for the baby she is

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I beleve that you shouldnt spank your kids, just shout really loud at them, when i was younger my mum would spank me, whereas my dads would shout at me. i no who i have more respect for now, my mum just irritates me.

Dont no the exact story but a law is being/in the process of being passed in England that states that if you spank your kid hard enough to leave a bruise, lump, scratch,cut or any minor swelling then you can go to jail for a maximum of 5 years! I believe that is a little harsh though

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Atlanta Braves Baby! said:
I was spanked as a child and I am completely normal.
[snapback]850500[/snapback]​
Eeeehmmm....
You sure?

Anyways, I don't know if I'm pro or con: there are numberous ways to teach kids about right and wrong, spanking just being one of them. I'm against violence, and subjecting your kids to it is wrong, imo. And I think it also sends the wrong message to your kids, that violence is a way to achieve what you want.
But on the other hand, it is effective in many cases, although denying your kids certain things as punishment is at least as effective...

So I don't know - I guess the only way to get a final stance on this is to actually get kids of your own...

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Judazzz said:
Eeeehmmm....:rock: You sure?

Anyways, I don't know if I'm pro or con: there are numberous ways to teach kids about right and wrong, spanking just being one of them. I'm against violence, and subjecting your kids to it is wrong, imo. And I think it also sends the wrong message to your kids, that violence is a way to achieve what you want.
But on the other hand, it is effective in many cases, although denying your kids certain things as punishment is at least as effective...

So I don't know - I guess the only way to get a final stance on this is to actually get kids of your own...
[snapback]850555[/snapback]​
Perhaps you have a point my friend

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think it completely depends on the kid.
All kids are different and respond differently to punishments.
I can use my girls as an example...

Jade 15 ~ Regular pain in the ass kid, mouthy but usually behaves after a FIRM talking to...
only had be to smacked a couple times in her life.

Autumn 14 ~ Satan's spawn... No amount of talking, threatening, grounding , taking things away or time outs have worked with this child. A good smack on the ass is the only thing that would work with her.

Riley 8 ~ She's so aware of "maybe" getting in trouble, she watches her ass.
I have never really had to yell at her, and never had to smack her.

I think you just need to try everything, and then go with what works best for each child.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts