Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of going for a death row motif for my piranha tank. I was going to take chicken bones and scatter them across the bottom along with a fake skull. What preparation do i need to do in order to put them in there? I dont want them to foul my water or deteriorate.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, im just going to scatter them around. my question is how do i prepare them for the tank so that they do not foul the water or deteriorate?

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
i would think it could unneeded amonia level to your tank? Why not buy some thing that wont decay?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
FeederFish33 said:
no, im just going to scatter them around. my question is how do i prepare them for the tank so that they do not foul the water or deteriorate?
eventually it will deteriorate..make sure there no meat on them..you can do this by sun drying them for a couple of weeks.thats what i did with my skull

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
thePACK said:
FeederFish33 said:
eventually it will deteriorate..make sure there no meat on them..you can do this by sun drying them for a couple of weeks.thats what i did with my skull
That cow skull in your tank is real? or am i thinking of some one else?

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
other chicken fact, they are one of the softest bones, id say get a ham bone, but then again most hams have salt in them, and honey, also not good for your fish.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
what I would do is dry them out reall good and soak them in a bleach and water solution. rince well and toss them in. or use some epoxy clear paint to seal them. allow to dry and I think it would be ok

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah like nitro said.

or you can boild them. Then Bleach. Then use a Synthetic clearcoat on them to keep them from deteriorating. but after you paint them let them all sit for about a week, so all the solvants work out of the paint. Then toss them in. You'll be goood to go.

I woudln't use an oilbase clearcoat either...like shalac or stain. Takes longer to work the chemicals out and probably would have undesirable affects with the water.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
xjfella95 said:
yeah like nitro said.

or you can boild them. Then Bleach. Then use a Synthetic clearcoat on them to keep them from deteriorating. but after you paint them let them all sit for about a week, so all the solvants work out of the paint. Then toss them in. You'll be goood to go.

I woudln't use an oilbase clearcoat either...like shalac or stain. Takes longer to work the chemicals out and probably would have undesirable affects with the water.
yes i would think so also, and i bleive oil never fully drys either.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you have access to pottery and can get ahold of the material and the heating oven and you have some skills then you can make some really awesome designs with that. You can even add colours...like red for blood too and have it finished with a glaze thats non-toxic to the fish as well

good luck

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
If you have access to pottery and can get ahold of the material and the heating oven and you have some skills then you can make some really awesome designs with that. You can even add colours...like red for blood too and have it finished with a glaze thats non-toxic to the fish as well

good luck
hey guys, what about baking it in a over like on 500 degrees for like a few hours?

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
bobme said:
hey guys, what about baking it in a over like on 500 degrees for like a few hours?
baking what? the actual bones.... I wouldnt bother, not sure what the outcome would be?
dry them and cleaning them?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I say brush off any remaining meat in the bones. Left over meat will cloud water. Some of the ideas in here are good, but its gonna be a b*tch cleaning gravel and getting your tubes clogged up with chicken bones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts