Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I use dechlorinator, pH 7.0, and medicines.

I have no trouble adding chemicals to my tanks - although I would prefer not to have to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
for p's, if you use medicine don't use a full dose. use about half.
i use doc wellfish salt. i only had 1 p that died (i don't think it's my fault though. you saw the pics) and 1 that got sick. the one that got sick had popeye. i used a half dose of maricyn 2 for it. it got better after a week.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Meds I have used: 1) salt: on rare occasions for badly torn fins or cuts 2) dimilin: used a few times to treat incoming piranha with anchor worms (also good for argulus). one treatment does the trick. 3) Praziquantel (a dewormer for dogs but works well on fish that have tapeworms). Haven't used it yet, but good to have just in case... Also very effective in treating gill/body flukes. Kills through paralysis. 4) Formalin/Malachite Green: used to quarantine feeders for a week. 5) Betadine (similar to liquid iodine) to disinfect wounds like badly scraped chins or open ulcers. 6) Potassium permanganate: basically a nuke that will kill everything (bacteria, fungus, parasites). It oxidizes any organic matter. I use it as a last resort for heavy infestations. Not to be used in the tank (will quickly kill all nitrifiers). Fortunately, haven't had to use it yet...

I prefer not to use meds, but if at all possible, salt would be the first course of action for me. But it is not very effective against anchorworms, argulus, flukes. Thus I keep the supplies handy just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.