Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a emp400 and as many of you know they have capability for 4 media slots.

Right now i am using 4 regular cartridges and thinking of using the 2 refillable media cartridges. I bought marinelands "diamond blend", it has a good combo of the two. What do you guys use?

I dont see the need to fill both of them with pure carbon (black diamond) so i was thinking one carbon and one blend or something, this way i can control ammonia, chlornine, odor, basically everything.

What brand do you use, etc. etc. i guess this is more of a survey thread now as i am typing it.

BTW, i have a 55 gallon and nothing is wrong with the water or fish, i am just messing around with different combos, etc.

FYI: for marineland Black Diamond= premium activated carbon; white diamond= ammonia-neutralizing crystals; diamond blend=premium activated carbon and ammonia-neutralizing crystals. this is the names and products for marinelands products.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i forgot to add, anybody think of taking these "refillable medias" and using a coffee filter or towel and create extra filtration for fish poop, etc.? i guess you can put a thin towel or coffee filter in there?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
to treat for chlorine I suggest you buy a freshwater supply filter that removes chlorine, they are $25-$35 dollars and good for 15,000 gallons

I dont use any chem media in my tanks and they dont stink, I have posted before that I believe the best way to keep your tank from stinking is having enough biological media, you must keep your ammonia low because it is the source of most smells, good tank cleanings every other week is also necessary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts